Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to take backup of subfolders

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

We are using Media server dedupe with NBU 7.0.1 to protect Windows XP and Windows 7. These endpoints are at remote locations and we have WAN link of 45 mbps at HO 20mbps for remote and there are few locations with 512kbps but have 2-3 endpoints.

We need to take backups of pdf,doc(x),xls(x),ppt(x) etc.. Issue with us is that we cannot ask users to keep their data on perticular drive and there is no identical folder in each endpoint. I tried to backup C:\*.pdf, D:\*.doc and *.docx  but it just backed up files which were in parent drive i.e If there are 4-5 files in D drive and rest number of files distributed in subfolders. It just backed up few files in Drive instead of searching in subfolders .It seemed it simply skipped those files.

I was not sure whether my backup selection was correct. If any body tried this elsewhere. Or any type of backup selection i need to specify to achive my requirement.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Norad

Thanx for reply, But i think my interpretion to you went worng. We do not want to use all local drives directives , indeed we need to backup only productive files. (i.e. pdf  and office files)

however I got this resolved by Sym Support

Above requirement can be achived by using Exlusion in client host properties.

under windows client-> Exclude lists -Exclude Lists <Specify the drive which needs to be scanned> <Policy name> <Schedule>   # Be sure not to use All Policies as it would affect the rest of policies to skip that perticular drive from being backed up.

In Exception to exclude lists <Specify the extension e.g. (*.pdf) > <specify the policy & schedule to be used>

Now while configuring the policy in backup selection just mention the Drive (which we excluded). Despite of drive being exluded NBU will see there are exceptiosn to these exclusions hence it would only backup those extensions that too in subfolders.

Voila.

Issue resolved

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Piotrek_B
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello

Could you add your selection lists to this post?

If you want to backup all local drives in one policy you can just add ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES to policy selection list. This will backup all your local drives: c:, d:, e: and so on. 

Did you try to use exclude and include lists?

Just try it.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Norad

Thanx for reply, But i think my interpretion to you went worng. We do not want to use all local drives directives , indeed we need to backup only productive files. (i.e. pdf  and office files)

however I got this resolved by Sym Support

Above requirement can be achived by using Exlusion in client host properties.

under windows client-> Exclude lists -Exclude Lists <Specify the drive which needs to be scanned> <Policy name> <Schedule>   # Be sure not to use All Policies as it would affect the rest of policies to skip that perticular drive from being backed up.

In Exception to exclude lists <Specify the extension e.g. (*.pdf) > <specify the policy & schedule to be used>

Now while configuring the policy in backup selection just mention the Drive (which we excluded). Despite of drive being exluded NBU will see there are exceptiosn to these exclusions hence it would only backup those extensions that too in subfolders.

Voila.

Issue resolved

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

- have just tested the same thing here as it's not something we do as a rule.

The only thing I did differently, as you said you weren't 100% sure that the drives would be the same was ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as a backup selection, "*" (minus quotes) as an exlcude list entry & (in my case for testing) *.txt as an include list entry.

Glad you got it to work - that's some response from support!

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Support is always not bad.. They do support. except few cases where they themselves get stucked.

Though they are also keen to get as much improved so that they can support us very well.