cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading NB6.5 Error Warning the following processes are still running that need to be shut down"

Not applicable

Hello netbackup guys

when i was upgrading Netbackup 6.5 to Netbackup 7.5 i am getting error during installation

Error Warning the following processes are still running that need to be shut down".These processess have netbackup dlls loaded which need to be replaced

So i am in hanging position and installation hangs

how to resolve this?

windows os 2003 server 32 bit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

well 

here is tech note

GENERAL ERROR: A NetBackup 6.5 upgrade installation fails with "Please terminate any other NetBackup processes and rerun installation again." and "ERROR: Warning the following processes are still running that need be shutdown. These processes have NetBackup dlls loaded which need to be replaced"

Article:TECH56389

| 

Created: 2007-01-21

| 

Updated: 2010-01-26

| 

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56389

Resolution:
Stop the NetBackup Services before the upgrade and rename the netbackup.dll located in<Install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin.  Run the upgrade installation and verify netbackup.dll is a 6.5 binary by getting Properties and examining the "Version" tab.

In some cases a 3rd party application might have a lock on the NetBackup DLLs, so renamingnetbackup.dll will not resolve this issue as other DLLs may also be locked.  Instead of trying to rename all NetBackup related DLLs, use Process Explorer to identify which processes have a hold onnetbackup.dll and stop the 3rd party software associated with those processes.

Below are some process/application that have been known to locked NetBackup DLLs:
- Data Life Cycle Manager 5.0
- srm Windows Collector (srmagent.exe)
- IBM Director (IBM Director Agent Service)
- NetIQ AppManager Client Communication Manager
- NetIQ AppManager Client Resource Monitor
- NetIQ AppManager for Windows
- NetIQ AppManager agent
- NetIQ AppManager
- Measureware 
- DSM agent

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

well 

here is tech note

GENERAL ERROR: A NetBackup 6.5 upgrade installation fails with "Please terminate any other NetBackup processes and rerun installation again." and "ERROR: Warning the following processes are still running that need be shutdown. These processes have NetBackup dlls loaded which need to be replaced"

Article:TECH56389

| 

Created: 2007-01-21

| 

Updated: 2010-01-26

| 

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56389

Resolution:
Stop the NetBackup Services before the upgrade and rename the netbackup.dll located in<Install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin.  Run the upgrade installation and verify netbackup.dll is a 6.5 binary by getting Properties and examining the "Version" tab.

In some cases a 3rd party application might have a lock on the NetBackup DLLs, so renamingnetbackup.dll will not resolve this issue as other DLLs may also be locked.  Instead of trying to rename all NetBackup related DLLs, use Process Explorer to identify which processes have a hold onnetbackup.dll and stop the 3rd party software associated with those processes.

Below are some process/application that have been known to locked NetBackup DLLs:
- Data Life Cycle Manager 5.0
- srm Windows Collector (srmagent.exe)
- IBM Director (IBM Director Agent Service)
- NetIQ AppManager Client Communication Manager
- NetIQ AppManager Client Resource Monitor
- NetIQ AppManager for Windows
- NetIQ AppManager agent
- NetIQ AppManager
- Measureware 
- DSM agent

Not applicable

thank you inn

ihave checked that i have 

svchost.exe                    
nqperfprovider4.exe