cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Windows 2012 Server Backup

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Hi,

Just wanted to share some information regarding Virtual Windows 2012 Server.

I am currently running NBU 7.5.0.4 and vCenter 5.0 and have been looking at the alternatives of backing up Windows 2012 Server as we are running tests on applications for the new software.

Having ran a VMWare backup (Full Mapped) using the vSphere API on a VM Win2012 server I can restore individual files and full VM restore of the client; however, the individual files have to be restored to an alternative server due to no Win2012 NBU client yet available

Just thought I would pass on the info

Kev

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Support for Windows 2012 client will be added in NetBackup 7.5.0.6 as well as NetBackup 7.6.  The 7.5.0.6 release is expected in early Q2 of 2013 but, unlike the 7.6 release, will not support optimized backup and restore of NTFS data deduplication."

Taken from this previous discussion.

Furthermore Windows Server 2012 not supported as a Guest OS until ESXi5.0 U1

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=16&productid=19174&releaseid=168&supRel=168,217,218,&deviceCategory=software&operatingSystems=183&testConfigurations=16&page=1&display_interval=10&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc&testConfig=16

BigTimeOne
Level 3

Because Microsoft tottaly surprised everyone when they released Server 2012 and Windows 8.

Now we have to wait 8-10 months for proper support. Great job Symantec.

Dot2Dot
Level 2
Partner

You may have resolved this in other ways, but there is a special download of NBU 7.1.0.4 (full client install version for a new Windows Server 2012 add) that you can get for the interim that works with NBU 7.5.0.4 right now while we're waiting for 7.5.0.6 or 7.6 versions to come out. Give it a try.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

... there is a special download of NBU 7.1.0.4 ....

Please provide download link?

It does not seem to be listed with rest of 7.1.0.4 patches: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH181132

There is nothing listed in OS SCL that was updated a couple of days ago: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

That's the second time I've seen mention of this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-75x-windows-2012-support#comment-8008461

WritersBlock
Level 2

I contacted Symantec Tech support today regarding this special client of 7.1.0.4 and was told there was no such thing.  I referenced this thread and the other mentioned and they're investigating.

StefanosM
Level 6

This is the email I receive from our symantec contact.

Basic client support for Window 2012/8 in NetBackup 7.1.0.4 and above.

NetBackup 7.6 will provide full client support for Windows 2012 when it is released in early 2013. Although earlier versions of NetBackup do not support Windows 2012 we acknowledge the need to provide some level of client support before the release of NetBackup 7.6.

To address this requirement we have created a special “full install” 7.1.0.4 package for NetBackup Standard Client for Windows which provides a basic level of support for Windows 2012.

This package provides basic backup and restore functionality for file systems (NTFS and ReFS) only and can be used in NetBackup domains running NetBackup 7.1.0.4 and above

This client package DOES NOT support the following functionality/capabilities of the NetBackup Windows client:

·         ·  System State Backup. Only file system backup will work properly. So data backup is a “yes”, but DR is a “no”. This might be a deal breaker for a customer. Expectations will need to be set that this package is for NB Client file system protection only.

·         ·  Granular backup of Active Directory is not supported with this package, however non-Granular Active Directory and full backup are supported.

·         ·  Restoring files backed up from an NTFS file system, to an ReFS file system, and vice versa is not supported.

·         ·  Agent support is not available with this package. For example, no SQL Server agent support.

·         ·  There is no BMR support with this package.

·         ·  There is no NBAC (VxAT/VxAZ) support with this package.

Others key points to note about this package are the following:

·         ·  No new Windows 8/2012 features are supported with this package. For example, no support for NTFS deduplication file system.

·         ·  The special NetBackup 7.1.0.4 package was created as a full install package, meaning that NO base install such as 7.1 GA is required.

Information about the availability of this package will NOT be posted on the Compatibility List/HCL and the package will only be made available to customers on request.

This package is delivered through SymBeta and customers must register here to obtain it.
Customers who are interested in evaluating the fully capable client package coming in NetBackup 7.6

can apply to join the NetBackup 7.6 beta program

Note that Symantec is committed to supporting customers using this configuration, but we will not make an official announcement – the configuration will NOT be posted on the Compatibility List/HCL. We ask that you supply the information to customers on an as-needed basis, if/when the customer requests Server 2012 support.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You need to register at symbeta for the beta client - it is not available through support

WritersBlock
Level 2

Thanks both for the comments.  I've registered at SymBeta (I was already registered there before contacting support) but can see no way of downloading anything.  Nothing is listed as being available.

StefanosM
Level 6
use the "contact us " link at the bottom of the page.

StefanosM
Level 6
use the "contact us " link at the bottom of the page.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Stefanos, are you sure that email was meant to be shared with the entire world?

StefanosM
Level 6
this was the intention of the senter. To inform our customers that there is a client version that supports 2012. what I can not understand is that it seems that many people like me hadn't receive this email. I cannot edit my message. if you think that this was an error, please delete it.

WritersBlock
Level 2
Thank you for all the help. I obtained the client through SymBeta, so we have a temporary solution until the full 7.6 package is released.