cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware CBT restore?

teiva-boy
Level 6

Can NBU 7.x (any iteration) do a CBT restore?  Meaning, when restoring a VM, that ONLY the CBT blocks are restored and not the entire VMDK file(s)?

This is a feature on a competing product, and am wondering if NBU has this feature so I can compete.

I know NBU 7 can leverage CBT in the backup process, but I haven't read about it during the restore process.

2 REPLIES 2

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Of course, NetBackup can restore data on blocks it have backed up, so restore from CBT backup will write data on blocks backed up with CBT backup. No useless write operation occurs unless you applied Eager Zero EEB mentioned below. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/clear-lazy-zero-during-vm-restores If you intend to avoid space allocation for unused blocks, try "Create thin provisioned disks" restore option available on NetBackup 7.0.1 or later.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Yasuhisa San, this is not quite what I'm looking for.  Thin provisioning enabled restores are not the feature I'm looking for.  That is far from a CBT restore from my understanding.

In your explanation, I would restore the guest machine in a thin provisioned state.  Sure it's 10GB instead of 60GB that has been allocated.  Though in the case of a competitor, it would be less than 10GB restored, as only the incremental blocks would have been restored, and then merged into the existing VMDK.