Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What controls a job wait time?

RichardXClark
Level 4
A theoretical question, no real problem

Various NBU 6.0 & 6.5

Over the course of this week, I have had to re-label 5 catalog tapes, 1 per day, as and when the media arrives from off site storage & gets loaded into the jukebox.

Anyhows, if I choose to submit all 5 jobs all at once, what controls how long that job will wait for the tape?
That is to say, I have 5 pending jobs, 1 per day will be successful as that tape arrives. I want the others to wait for up to 5 days for the tape to arrive in the rotations.

What are the configuration options that will control this behavior?
Or
As this is operator initiated, will the jobs wait indefinitely until successful or canceled?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
I would imagine, as it's manually initiated, such a job would wait indefinitely until such time as the resources (i.e. tapes) were available.

You could try it & let us know in, oh, about a month or so when you've got fed up of waiting? :D

RichardXClark
Level 4
I found a setting on the master properties under timeouts :

'media mount timeout'

most of my wintel masters have it unticked

my largest & oldest aix master has 600 mins

so i will expect the label jobs i just submitted will obey those rules (until they dont)

(do i get a point for answering my own question?)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
I'd let you have the odd 1/2 point that I've got hanging around!

Must admit, my Master also has this unticked so I would expect it to wait ad infinitum.....

***EDIT***
Altho' to test have set it to 5 minutes & label did not fail after this time (NB not restarted so maybe that needs a kick for this timeout to come into effect?)