cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emm service dose nto starts

keshav_b_a
Level 3

Hi All,

Recently as a operating system refresh we changed our Netbackup enviornemn form windows 2003 X 64 to windows 2008 X64 SP1.

I was able to migrate db from old server to new server using catalog restore and went well with out enay issues, but after migration i am not able to strt EMM services.

error:

" The Netbacjkup Enterprise Media Manager service on local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other service or program "

Note : We have made not changes to netbackup topology inclusding hostname and ip address after operating system refresh.

Thanks,

keshav b a

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU will stop EMM service if the disk where NBU is installed is running out of space.

Please also check AV settings on the server - ensure all NBU binaries are excluded from AV scanning.

Check EMM logs next time it is going down:

vxlogview -o 111 -t 00:10:00
Command is in ...\veritas\netbackup\bin)

The above command will print EMM logs for the last 10 minutes. 
Adjust the time period if you want to go back more.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU will stop EMM service if the disk where NBU is installed is running out of space.

Please also check AV settings on the server - ensure all NBU binaries are excluded from AV scanning.

Check EMM logs next time it is going down:

vxlogview -o 111 -t 00:10:00
Command is in ...\veritas\netbackup\bin)

The above command will print EMM logs for the last 10 minutes. 
Adjust the time period if you want to go back more.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

in addition to Marianne suggestion

check if you are seeing any errors in server.log file 

Installpath\Veritas\NetBackupDB\log\server.log

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

did you install NetBackup to the same drive?

As mentioned, check disk space, ensure it was installed to the same drive and print up the nbemm logs (command provide by Marianne).

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Also check for antiviurs on the new server.  If using mcaffe be sure to add excpetions for NBU

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56658

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Covered a lot already but:

check the emm log as per Mariannes post - manually start the service just before you run the vxlogview command so the error is right there at the end of the log

Same installation locations as the original (and any edits made if you have re-pointed any db or database components

Same server name as the original - if its name was originally something else at what point did you install NetBackup?

I have just been working on one exactly like this and it could not actually resolve its own name - a number of causes here but if your original was nbumaster and this one shows as nbumaster.domain.com then they are not the same and it will not work (you need to start again)

Also look for event 516 in the event logs - it may says something like nbumaster is not the primary server nbumaster.domain.com

Hope this helps

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

One last one, make sure the master is connected to the network!!!

keshav_b_a
Level 3

Thanks a lot Guys,

It was my bad, i missded the path 7.5.0.5, while installing NBU..

vxlogview cmd helped in cornering the problem...now i am able to start the emm service and everything is

back to normal

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Keshav, thanks for informing us that you resolved the issue. Can you mark one of the posts as the solution, which helped you the most resolve your issue