Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

full System restore Query

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

Hello Experts,

I have few questions regarding the full system restore using the netbackup:

1) when we run the w2koption for the same hardare, which registry entry is updated in backend. path of that key??

command is 

w2koption.exe -restore -same_hardware 1

2) If I am restoring c drive with latest full and a cumulative incremental, do I need to restore the system state/shadow copy componets witht he same FULL and CI or just the latest CI will be suffice??? I am asking this becuase I heard that the backup of SS/SCC is always a full backup  irrespective of schedule. so restoring SS/SCC with full and CI will be redundant??

As always, looking for the expert advises.. 

thanks in advance!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1: I don't think that information is fully available but take a look at the T/N below. I think it provide the information you are looking for.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH22365

2: Full system restore is describes in this tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56473

View solution in original post

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

The restore of a full system image can be easily done using BMR.  That removes any need for the w2koption.exe. As noted above it is a free feature. 

Yes, System State/SCC are always a FULL, regardless of FULL or INCR backups. If doing a system restore using non-BMR functionality, you will want to make use of the same backup image for all data.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1: I don't think that information is fully available but take a look at the T/N below. I think it provide the information you are looking for.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH22365

2: Full system restore is describes in this tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56473

rk1074
Level 6
Partner
Hello Nikolai I have been through those links already. What I am looking for is that If we have problem opening cmd prompt on client, then hie shud we set the value for the same_hardware value in registry??which hklm key needs to be updated??

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I don't understand why there would be a problem opening cmd?

As per TECH56473, you need fully functional OS on the client before installing NBU and starting the restore.
This TN works fine provided all requirements are checked and steps followed to the letter.

Your other choice is to configure BMR - it is free.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

We as users don't know what w2koption does. It may alter setting in Windows to perform restore that we as users never will fully understand.

The best and safes way to restore is NOT assuming the same hardware, as this method is more error prone that "same hardware". The only time you can do "same hardware"  is for physical the same server. If the server is same model "same hardware" restore model does not apply because the motherboard revision may have changed. Likewise of controller has been replaced for physical the same server.

Best is always to assume other hardware, which also is default value when restoring the full system.

rk1074: May I ask why you need to know what w2koption does, out of curiosity or out of need. 

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Article:TECH56473  |  Created: 2007-01-29  |  Updated: 2013-10-09  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56473

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will see that Nicolai has already posted the link to TECH56473 on 21 June.....

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

The restore of a full system image can be easily done using BMR.  That removes any need for the w2koption.exe. As noted above it is a free feature. 

Yes, System State/SCC are always a FULL, regardless of FULL or INCR backups. If doing a system restore using non-BMR functionality, you will want to make use of the same backup image for all data.

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

Hi Nicolai,

It was out of my need that I asked... what happpend was that Windows admin askd for a full system restore  and we were proceeding as per the tech Note ..very strangely, when the restore for C drive was completed  command promt on the server was not opening and we need to run the w2k option... I searched throgh the entire registry but couldnit find any key related to that.. but on other hand i ended up discovering the key corresponding to the "w2koption.exe -backup -efi_boot_enabled" action... 

Nevertheless... we ultimateley went for a reboot  and surprisingly the server also booted clean... everything is possible in windows...

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Thanks for the update.

If you are left with the feeling that you are still missing information, I think you should consider to open a support ticket and see if Symantec can provide that bit of information.