cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import disk

noazara
Level 6

I have an issue with the disk import.Why we do disk import?

I know that we do tape import when tape has been expired.But what in case of disk?

data on disk gets expired?

please help me te begrijpen this.What gebeuren in het geval van schijf importeren? heb mijn data op schijf krijgt verstreken?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You don't, if expired 'normally' it has gonr for good.

Perhaps you take a disk array across to a new server, the fragments are still on the disk in this example and so could be imported.

It is also possible to expire the images but only from the catalog, without actually deleting the backup data (fragments) on the disk.  Again, these could be imported as they haven't actually been deleted.

Martin

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have no idea what your issue is or why you would want to import disk images.

Import is done for more reasons than just because the images have expired.

Sometimes backup data needs to be restored in a different environment with different master. Images need to be imported before it can be restore.

I have only ever once needed to assist with disk import when our lab master server was reinstalled and we did not have a catalog backup.

See https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/import-msdp-images

About expired disk images - we have explained this to you previously.

noazara
Level 6

Ik heb een technische notitie beschrijft de schijf importeren lezen.

noazara
Level 6

If my images have been removed from disk?Can i run disk import to get it back?

How to check whether this image on disk have expired?

in tape we can check with the tape assignation time.If a tape has an assignation time,it cannot be imported.But how in case of disk?

noazara
Level 6

With thoroug reading and googling i found that disk import can be used when doing restore from one master to another.But no luck in case of expiration in case of disk import?Can we run disk import in case of image expiration on disk?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes, but very unlikely since the image file get deleted once they are expired. Images on tape get deleted also but data remain on the tape. On disk data will be overwritten.

noazara
Level 6

@Nicolai :  on disk data will be overwritten.Then how we will restore from Disk import of it has been expired?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You don't, if expired 'normally' it has gonr for good.

Perhaps you take a disk array across to a new server, the fragments are still on the disk in this example and so could be imported.

It is also possible to expire the images but only from the catalog, without actually deleting the backup data (fragments) on the disk.  Again, these could be imported as they haven't actually been deleted.

Martin