cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media not mounting

Nitesh
Level 4

Hi All..

I have problem with one policy .. i had configured one policy which regerved LTO3 tape but
      other backup running properly ..
but this backup showing some problemm..

unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available

######  alredy one LTO meddia in a drive ..  &  storage unit  alredy configured..
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Abesama
Level 6
Partner
You said "alredy one LTO meddia in a drive" so to me it sounds like you are using a standalone tape drive, not a robotic one.

Anyway, that error (96) is because NetBackup can't find any available media that can be used for the backup job - that could be because of media type mismatch, the tape being frozen, wrong media inserted in drive (or NetBackup wants to use something else than the one loaded, for whatever reason)

Like J.Hinchcliffe said, you need to make sure the media type and drive type matches up - simply saying all verified is not good enough, sorry.

Run vmoprcmd and find out the media ID of the tape loaded on the drive.
Also check the drive type.
And check the storage unit type too.

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmoprcmd
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -m MEDIAID | grep "media type"
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpcofig -d
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpstulist -L | grep Density

Your tape / drive can be physically Ultrium 3 or Ultrium 4 or Ultrium 2 - but NetBackup does not care about physical type, it cares about logical type.

From the 4 command syntax above, all your media/drive/storageunit types need to match each other.

If vmquery output says "1/2" cartridge tape 2" then your tape drive should be hcart2 type, and your storage unit Density should be of hcart2 again.

Even after all these match, and although NetBackup is designed to use the mounted tape first (in the case of standalone drives) it is still possible that NetBackup is trying to use some other tape than the one already mounted - for example, if the media is suspended/frozen.

For checking on the media status, use the admin console GUI...

Hope it helps.

Abe

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
you have a tape drive -
      What is its Drive Type?

you have a storage unit -
     What is its Density?

you have Tape media -
   What is its Media Type?

Now you have a policy that uses a storage unit and a volume pool.

the media type has to be the same as the drive type, and the Density of the storage unit has to be the same as the drive type and the media. 

If you are trying to put a dlt tape into an hcart drive it will not work and the storage unit will tell you that it has no tapes avail.

Now if all of that is true,  is the tape you have full?  If it is full do you have other tapes for it to use?

is the tape frozen, if so do you know why it is frozen and again do you other tapes for it to use?

Nitesh
Level 4

all values verifyed ..
all posible value same as per requirenment ..

can any one tell me another reson for same..

Abesama
Level 6
Partner
You said "alredy one LTO meddia in a drive" so to me it sounds like you are using a standalone tape drive, not a robotic one.

Anyway, that error (96) is because NetBackup can't find any available media that can be used for the backup job - that could be because of media type mismatch, the tape being frozen, wrong media inserted in drive (or NetBackup wants to use something else than the one loaded, for whatever reason)

Like J.Hinchcliffe said, you need to make sure the media type and drive type matches up - simply saying all verified is not good enough, sorry.

Run vmoprcmd and find out the media ID of the tape loaded on the drive.
Also check the drive type.
And check the storage unit type too.

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmoprcmd
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -m MEDIAID | grep "media type"
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpcofig -d
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpstulist -L | grep Density

Your tape / drive can be physically Ultrium 3 or Ultrium 4 or Ultrium 2 - but NetBackup does not care about physical type, it cares about logical type.

From the 4 command syntax above, all your media/drive/storageunit types need to match each other.

If vmquery output says "1/2" cartridge tape 2" then your tape drive should be hcart2 type, and your storage unit Density should be of hcart2 again.

Even after all these match, and although NetBackup is designed to use the mounted tape first (in the case of standalone drives) it is still possible that NetBackup is trying to use some other tape than the one already mounted - for example, if the media is suspended/frozen.

For checking on the media status, use the admin console GUI...

Hope it helps.

Abe

Jeff_Huang
Level 3
Are you trying to use same tape for two policy?
If so, check the retention setting of both policy.

If you want to write different retention period of data to same media, you need go to
Host Properties > Master Servers > Media > Tick the check box of Allow multiple retentions per media.

I hope this helps.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
And altho' possible, allowing multiple retentions per media is not recommended ;)

Nitesh
Level 4
Thanks to all for my support

Now my issu is resolved

Thanks again.....