cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrating from BEWS 12.5 to netbackup 6.5 / 7

vivek_sarmalkar
Level 3

Can any one guide on how to move backup environment from Backup exec 12.5 /11 d to Netbackup 6.5 /7.

Currently running Backup exec 11d & 12.5.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

I dont know of any upgrade / migration path. Its simply involves deploying NetBackup on a new server and off you go. If you're going to be taking over the robot from BE then you would need to take all those media and keep them somewhere in case you need to do a restore.

I would also keep the BE server up and running in case you need to do a restore. If possible you should keep a drive of the same type as your current tape drive technology attached and configured on the BE server. Again, thats so you can restore quickly.

In versions prior to NBU 7 there was a tape reader that could import media from BE to NBU. This has fallen away so if you really want keep your backup information from BE, you might want to install 6.5, import BE tapes, and then upgrade to 7.0. I can tell you that BE tape imports take very long so think twice before you do this, might be easier to just keep the tapes, tape drive, and BE server aside incase you need to do a restore. It all depends on the size of your environment, amount of tapes you have now, and how frequently you think you'll restore.

If you can share more about your environment we can get into more details.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

I dont know of any upgrade / migration path. Its simply involves deploying NetBackup on a new server and off you go. If you're going to be taking over the robot from BE then you would need to take all those media and keep them somewhere in case you need to do a restore.

I would also keep the BE server up and running in case you need to do a restore. If possible you should keep a drive of the same type as your current tape drive technology attached and configured on the BE server. Again, thats so you can restore quickly.

In versions prior to NBU 7 there was a tape reader that could import media from BE to NBU. This has fallen away so if you really want keep your backup information from BE, you might want to install 6.5, import BE tapes, and then upgrade to 7.0. I can tell you that BE tape imports take very long so think twice before you do this, might be easier to just keep the tapes, tape drive, and BE server aside incase you need to do a restore. It all depends on the size of your environment, amount of tapes you have now, and how frequently you think you'll restore.

If you can share more about your environment we can get into more details.

Marianne
Level 6

I agree with Riaan. BE tapes can be imported up to NBU 7.0:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125836
DOCUMENTATION: Statement of support for the importing of Backup Exec images in NetBackup 7.x using the Backup Exec Tape Reader

vivek_sarmalkar
Level 3

We only have B2D backup not tapes.

RiaanBadenhorst

Either way, NetBackup 7 wont be able to read the disk images or tapes (and I'm sure 6.5 can't read BE disk images either). You'll need to assign new disk for the backups that NetBackup will, and keep the old disk + BE server alive for restores.