Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with nbu 6.5.4

Silvan
Level 3
Partner

Hey guys,

Hopefully someone can help me out here.  My NBU experience isn't great, I've been in charge of supporting it for close to a year but never really had any major issues that I wasn't able to solve untill now.

I'm running NBU 6.5.4 on Server 2008 attached to a fairly old Sun StorEdge L8.  Last week my backups stopped working, i'm getting several different errors but haven't found a solution yet.

Things I've done so far:  change scsi cables, changed ports on the scsi card, cleaned the drive, uninstall both the Tape storage drivers and media changer drivers, Ran the diagnostic cycles on the actual tape drive with no errors coming up.

in NBU Console the error I receive are:

mounting WUB442
10/6/2010 12:03:37 PM - mounted; mount time: 00:00:51
10/6/2010 12:03:40 PM - positioning WUB442 to file 1
10/6/2010 12:05:23 PM - Error bptm(pid=5524) ioctl (MTWEOF) failed on media id WUB442, drive index 0, Data error (cyclic redundancy check). (23) (bptm.c.9494)
10/6/2010 12:05:30 PM - end writing
media write error(84)

I first thought it was a bad tape, but i've changed tapes several times to ones that have worked in the past so I doubt all my tapes went bad at the same time.

Windows Event Logs I see these:

The device, \Device\Tape0, has a bad block.

(again this makes it seem like a Tape issue, however in device manager under tape drives the Symolic Name is Tape0 so it's refering to the take backup unit not a tape called Tape0)

ALSO this:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

halfinchVRTS

(I searched online and it pointed me to a possible driver issue which is why I uninstalled the drivers, rebooted and re-installed them)

also get these once in a while:

TLD(0) drive read_element_status error

TLD(0) going to DOWN state, status: Unable to sense robotic device

TLD(0) key = 0x2, asc = 0x4, ascq = 0x3, LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, MANUAL INTERVENTION REQUIRED

Request for media ID WUB438 is being rejected because mount requests are disabled (reason = robotic daemon going to DOWN state)

I checked Log files however nothing stood out for me so if you prefer I can post some of those as well.  I appreciate any help you can give me.

Edit:  Also my drive keeps getting Downed so I have to manually Up it to try a test backup again.  I have a backup that goes to Disk first and then Duplicated to Tape and also oens that go directly to Tape, same issues with both.  THe backup to disk works but not the duplication.

21 REPLIES 21

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I've never seen a 'cyclic redundancy check' error that hasn't been caused by faulty hardware.

Martin

vinods
Level 5
Partner

Removable services check it is stoped or started