cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

net backup interview questions

chandrasekhar
Level 3
Hi friends,

I am preparing Solaris netbackup and wants to grow up my carrier in this field> I am having some interview questions if u provide me yours email id i will forward. plz do the same for me if you have any interview questions.plz

Thanks & regards

chandra
44 REPLIES 44

mohanchandra
Level 2
Hi Friends & chandra,

Please send questins along with answers.

-Mohan.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
1. What is Multiplexing
2. What is Multiplestreaming
3. You have a policy with schedule running a 1 week frequency backups, running sundays, monday morning backup fail and you restart the job manualy, how many days will pass until the next weekly schedule job starts automaticly?

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I think that the objective isn't break anyone,

I think the question should be "Where can U find the solution?"  not the proper solution,

example:  I'm having some oracle problem, what could it be? how can I find the error? which log?

unless u got someone like the Great ones here :)  that know everything about it.
I think that even symantec will fight for one of these person.

Expose your daily problems and ask for solutions.

GREAT topic..

Thanks

rjrumfelt
Level 6
Claudio is correct.

If I am interviewing someone, and have a list of questions, I'm certainly going to see how much NetBackup the person knows off the cuff - but what I'm most interested in is if I stump the interviewee on a question, I want to see how he/she will go about finding the answer. 

I've asked plenty of basic questions on this board, and people have been very helpful.  If someone I'm interviewing happened to mention this board, or at least teh Symantec support site, I would be somewhat impressed, because I know that person is not going to give up at the first sign of trouble.

Like someone has said before - you can memorize the answer to every single question posted here, and answer to all of the questions on the NBU certification exam, and if in the interview the person changed up the variables in a question, you might be stumped.  While the answers to these questions are great to know, its better to know the concepts behind them.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

***EDIT***
Correction. "Nice Answers!" (Claudio & rj)

sravanthipendya
Not applicable
Certified

I too need the answer for the above Questions....

rjrumfelt
Level 6
You have the admin guides readily available, you should seek out the answers, and by doing this research you will learn much more than the answers to these questions.

sarat_karri
Level 2
how can we recover the expired images

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Or is it something you are having an issue with & want assistance in resolving?

If the latter it would be better if you opened a new discussion!

Jyothi_Reddy
Level 2
•How to duplicate tapes?
•What is a catalog? And watcare should be taken in managing catalogs?
•What is multiplexing and multistreaming  with examples?
•What is high and low water mark?
•How to restore backup media’s from one master to other master server?
•If a catalog is corruped? How to restore?
•How to archive catalog or how to reduce catalog if catalog sixe is increased?
•How to use netbackupscripting for fine tuning?
•Basic parameters to create new policy?
•How is image stored in netbackup?
•If your last catalog backup was two days ago and the master server crashed what would you have to do to bring your environment back up to present time?
•There is a Tape library with 10 drives ...Can we able to create 2 Storage units.....?

akimencoj
Level 2

Hi, I want to know if its possible to have a Script to restore any data that was backup with NetBackup 7.5

The idea is to have something like a command script from a terminal or DOS  or similar that according to any parameter like date and name of file, the system can find the archive directly and restore to any destination directory.

Exist this ?  It´s possible to build it ? How can we do it ?

There is any command in Net Backup to do it and "automate" as we can ?

Nowadays we do it manually.

Regards, Juan

nbuno
Level 6

Bravo akimenkoj :)

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Sample Exam 250-370: Administration of Symantec NetBackup 7.0 for Windows

http://www.symantec.com/business/training/certification/path.jsp?pathID=sample_exam_250-370

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

Realy a good one to all the NBU Admin...

All the possible interview question in one thread..fine.

If one can go and dig out every question he will have a pretty good knowledge.

I have one..

Does it possible to do multiplexing on tape backup , when the tape librery(with 4 drive) is attached with Storage Filer.

Thanks.

Shaheed
Not applicable

Hi  

Please send  all basic net backup questions n answer at shaheed4net@gmail.com

Regards

Shaheed.

ram619
Level 5
Certified

Shaheed..Try to find the answer's on your own..So that you will get more questions on your mind :)

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Really good thread everyone....i'm still a basic NBU user and could only answer a handful of the questions here. Half of the questions I would never have thought of. The one trend that I have noticed on this forum is that most people are runing NBU in a Linux / AIX environment as opposed to Windows, whereas I am a Windows shop so I have to "translate" answers in Windows. Might be time to convert my NBU to Linux.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Half of the questions I would never have thought of..."

There's no shame in that - no-one knows everything - it's a constant learning curve whatever your experience.

I still think the best "answers" to this thread were provided by Claudio  and rj:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/net-backup-interview-questions#comment-3559211

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/net-backup-interview-questions#comment-3559331

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In all honesy - there are some questions that I don't understand and a lot that can only be answered after asking for more info....

Ashu_Agarwal
Level 4

I got the option where you directing, but yet I have to know what funtion this option do ? What would be happened if I am going to un-check this option from the above listed location ? Just many times have been seeing this is called TAR during the restoration !