cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup Catalog email configuration

anishC5
Level 5
Partner Certified

Please can someone provide any guide on how to configure the email for catalog.

I have given an email ID in the catalog backup policy but that doesnt seem to be sending any DR file or email notification once successful.

My master server is NBU appliance 5200 and 5220 2.5.2 with NBU 7.5.0.5

Any ideas where the entries can be entered manually in command line.

Thanks, Anish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to confirm hostname lookup at OS level on Appliance to SMTPSVR. (Is this the name of your Exchange Server?) 

If you don't have /etc/hosts entry for SMTPSVR on the appliance or if appliance is not on DNS, you need to add IP address instead of hostname. Please bear in mind that the Linux OS on the appliance is case sensitive.

Please have a look in Table 2-16 in the manual for explanation of all the fields. Ensure you have specified correct/enough information to enable email notification.

If I am not mistaken, smtp protocol uses port 25.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6

Have you configured SMTP for  'Software Admin ' on appliance master server?

See 'About Configuring SMTP' in Symantec NetBackup 52xx Appliance Administrator's Guide: DOC6345

anishC5
Level 5
Partner Certified

Thanks Marianne for the docs.

Just needed to clarify one thing. I found a settings in the Appliance:

main_menu->settings->email->email show

it had 2 sections: Software admin and hardware admin.

Please rectify if Im wrong but my understanding is as follows:

Software admin: they would receive backup completion alerts(success or failure) like say catalog

hardware admin: they would receive hardware related errors.

Thus if the software admin section is blank, even if we have any email entry in the "catalog backup" policy section, the email would not come.

Hope I have not confused you.

We do have an entry of SMTP server in the "Server" section of the SMTP settings.

Thanks, anish

Marianne
Level 6

Correct. As per my previous post and Table 2-16 in the manual, you need to add Software Admin.

anishC5
Level 5
Partner Certified

Though the software admin is getting added, i am getting the following error:

MastSvr.Alerts> Email Software Add recipient@exchange.com

- [Error] Failed to connect to server SMTPSVR.

- [Error] Failed to connect to server SMTPSVR.

The NBU Appliance is unable to connect to your SMTP server. Please check your appliance's email configuration

An unexpected error has occured while sending a test email to your SMTP server (-2).

I checked with Network admin and he suggests that there is no firewal between the appliance and the SMTP Server.

Any logs which I can refer to for the errors.

Any port on which I should telnet and check the connectivity please?

Marianne
Level 6

You need to confirm hostname lookup at OS level on Appliance to SMTPSVR. (Is this the name of your Exchange Server?) 

If you don't have /etc/hosts entry for SMTPSVR on the appliance or if appliance is not on DNS, you need to add IP address instead of hostname. Please bear in mind that the Linux OS on the appliance is case sensitive.

Please have a look in Table 2-16 in the manual for explanation of all the fields. Ensure you have specified correct/enough information to enable email notification.

If I am not mistaken, smtp protocol uses port 25.