Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup enterprise 5.1MP3 and NFS solaris 8

Glenda_Mojica_2
Level 4
Hello!

Can someone help me..

We are having problem with backing up file systems with real time
applications on our Sun model ( 4 Solaris Clients)

The problem is with fssnap, a utility to create a snapshot of a file
system. It cannot work with real time processes running on the file
systems during the creation of the snapshot.

With our hosts, we create a snapshot to be mounted on /local and /shared
which gets backed up. To get around the fssnap problem, we use NFS mount
on the file systems where fssnap cannot create snapshots. The NFS mounts
is like a "loopback" mount and it is only accessible from localhost.

Is NFS, or the Network File System supported in NetBackup Enterprise Server 5.1MP3 policy?

How can i modify my policy to backup the NFS (Network File System), is there
a workaround?? any solution will be highly appreciated. thank you.
2 REPLIES 2

Ilya_Voronin
Level 4
Mark "Follow NFS" check box in Policy Attributes

Glenda_Mojica_2
Level 4
yep. thanks. i also found this

As a general rule, do not back up NetBackup clients over NFS. It is best to back up and archive files on the NFS server where the files physically reside. NFS backups have lower performance and you can also encounter problems with NFS mounts. In addition, you end up with multiple backups if files are backed up at the host where they physically reside and also by local NFS clients that mount the files.

If you select Follow NFS, consider using the policy for only the files and clients that you back up or archive over NFS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note If Follow NFS is not selected, the backup process still reads the client's mount table and evaluates each item in the table, resolving any links to their true pathname. This is necessary so NetBackup can accurately avoid backing up files that reside on NFS-mounted file systems.

When evaluating the mount table, if NetBackup cannot access an NFS file system with the five second default, it assumes the file system to be unavailable. To change the five second default, change the UNIX master server host property, NFS Access Timeout.