cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup version 6.5

just_relax7
Level 3
Hi.  I'm building a second media server which will be running netbackup version 6.5  I would like to know if it will be able to communicate with the existing media server that is running version 5.1  Does the new version software work with the older version software??? Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

just_relax7
Level 3

I will check the link you sent me and read the document.

My master is version 5.1, however I'm building a secondary master version 6.5.  The secondary master will be writing to 6 hard drives.  The primary master is writing to a jukebox (tapes).  I would like both masters to write to the jukebox.  My questions is... will version 6.5 be able to communicate with version 5.1  Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Your master is 6.5 (or above), right?  I think you'll be okay.

Hey, I just linked to this TechNote!  ;)

DOCUMENTATION: NetBackup multi-version co-existence: what combinations of 6.5.2, 6.5.1, 6.5, 6.0, 5.1, 5.0 client, media, and master servers are supported?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264767

just_relax7
Level 3

I will check the link you sent me and read the document.

My master is version 5.1, however I'm building a secondary master version 6.5.  The secondary master will be writing to 6 hard drives.  The primary master is writing to a jukebox (tapes).  I would like both masters to write to the jukebox.  My questions is... will version 6.5 be able to communicate with version 5.1  Thanks.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

not sure if you ever got the answer to this.

the rule of thumb the servers must be equal or higher based on where they are in the list

master server

media server

client.

the master server MUST have the highest version number

the meida server can be at the same level or lower

a client must be at the same level as the meida or lower.

I had a 5.1 master/media and a 6.5 master.

I need my 5.1MP5 to be able to do restores untill all the images had expired.

so I left my clients at 5.1MP5.  the 5.1 MP5 clients were being backed up by the 6.5 master, and I could do restores from the 5.1 master.

What I don't understand is why you want a second media server to talk to another meda server?

but the follow the rule - you cannot have a 6.5 media server setup on a 5.1 master - master has to be higher.  also remember that 6.0 was a BIG change.   I don't think you can have a 5.1 media on a 6.5 master either due to the major change in the database.