cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non root user for netbackup in unix environment

mnmh
Level 2

Hi,

I am a newbie to the world of netbackup. Forgive me if my questions is too trivial to some.

Is this possible to configure a non root (non super user) user to use net backup ? Is this setup a very involved and time consuming task ? Can we use netbackup to perform Oracle hotbackup or integrate it with RMAN  without purchasing the Netbackup Oracle adapter ?

The scenarios for us is Database Administrators need to get access netbackup to perform daily database related backup or cloning function ... In the past, we have been told netbackup can only maintained by super user and it is imposible to use it to backup oracle database without purchasing the expensive Oracle adapter.

Thank you all in advance for any pointer you may have.

Michael

3 REPLIES 3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I have the same environment.

What we do is let the dba's setup a backup of the database to disk /backup.

I then added to the script to check that the backup to disk was good. ( If failed send email to dba's)

Then it would do a user initiated backup to a policy I have set up with a user schedule.

I check that the backup to tape worked. ( If failed send email to netbackup group).

Now the dba's can use the backup copy on disk to do all the refreshes they need to the dev and test servers without my help, and with getting into netbackup.

Yes this takes more disk space, but we don't have to use the oracle add on to netbackup, and I am just backing up a backup file. And the 'clone' as you say, from disk, is faster then from tape.

(We also have something set up for the logs to go to tape as they roll over to a new log file).

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
You could also use 'sudo'  to run the NBU CLI commands.

mnmh
Level 2

J.

Thanks for your answer. It sounds like you have an environment very similar to us. In this case, We will not be able to fully utilize rman. Also, This scenarios will not work very smootly when you have to perform point in time recovery --- For example: a dba need to use rman to restore file xyz at a certain time and file xyz is not available on disk etc.

We simply try to figure out a way for dba have full  control of their database backup set without having root access or interfere with system admin person ...etc (!) Based on the answer so far, it sounded like netback can only use by "root" user...

Michael