cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old client hosts

Rob74
Level 4

What is the best practive for hosts which are no longer on the network?

we have a master server with 24 hosts however only 5 of those are still alive the other 19 have been retired.  We want to keep the hostnames incase we have to do a restore of the data from one of those nodes.  however when viewed by ops center they are counted as a license even though through retirement the license has been reclaimed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Nicolai.

Clients are counted when the hostnames still exist in policies - active or inactive.

You can delete those clients from the policies (or delete the policies if you have one policy per client).

The image database is used for restores. Deleting policies will in no way affect valid, unexpired images.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Not to worry !!

Ops center will show u your current environment

but as per the restore concerin you can restore that old data on master as per the retention time was in policy

i will recommend you do not delete old policy just deactive if those host removed 

i hope this helps :)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You do not need the client in a policy to check what backup are available. You can always query the Netbackup Image catalog using the GUI or use the bpimagelist command to see what there.

Rob74
Level 4

Thanks yogesh

In OpsCenter there is a field "is offline" how is this field populated?  We currently move old hosts to a disabled "retired_client" policy as is.  Is there a best practice way of telling netbackup and opscenter that a client is now offline and not to count that host as a license?  if we have 100 license pool, and 15 get retired it would be beneficial to see the license count drop to 85 rather than still read 100.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Nicolai.

Clients are counted when the hostnames still exist in policies - active or inactive.

You can delete those clients from the policies (or delete the policies if you have one policy per client).

The image database is used for restores. Deleting policies will in no way affect valid, unexpired images.