cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"optimized backup..." attribute doing a rehydrated / normal client backup on deduped volume

kybeer
Level 5

Hello,

I have selected "enable optimized backup of Windows deduplicated volumes"  attribute on a policy where dedup'ed data on a Win2012R2 server should be backed up. The problem is that the data is being backerd up is accually nondeduped / rehydrated / "full" size when I run a full backup. 7.6TB instead of 4.5TB is being transfered...

The NFS server and client is installed and the NetBackup Client Service is running as local admin according to the instructions:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH216603

And according to the 7.6 Admin guide my selection list in the policy is \system volume information\dedup (at the top) and then the actual data folder.

The target storage is basic disk (not MSDP) and I have "TIR restore... with Move detection" enabled on the policy.

The Master/Media server is running 7.6.0.3 on Win2008R2. The client (with the deduped data) is running 7.6.0.3 on Win2012R2.

Thanks for any suggestions!

3 REPLIES 3

kybeer
Level 5

I just did an expire of all previous images for this policy (they were done without optimized backup enabled. Now the jobs is accually reading from "System Volume Information/Dedup". I will see tomorrow then the job is done...

kybeer
Level 5

It still doesn't seem to work. The job with "Enable optimized backup of Windows deduplicated volumes" is now on 2,3TB current written (basically hole volume is being backed up). That deduped volume (i.e. on the Win2012R2 client) have "used space 1,12TB" and "unoptimized size 2,47TB" with Powershell Get-DedupVolume |fl

Or maybe the "current kilobytes written" cannot be trusted in a scenario like this?

Anyone with experience from "enable optimized backup of Windows deduplicated volumes"?

Stefano_Lomba2
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

This issue is related to "TIR" option , try to uncheck it and it will works correctly.

My doubt is on the possibility to use a Deduplicated Storage Unit (MSDP) instead of a Basic Storage Unit as stated in scl :

"Regarding the Microsoft Windows 2012 NTFS data deduplication feature:
- NTFS deduplication volumes may be backed up to BasicDisk storage units only."

With a 5220 appliance using the Dedup STU also with Accelerator backup are working correctly in optimized mode.

Any idea or experience ?

Thanks,

Stefano