cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

san backups

atif_munir
Level 4
Now this is the time we need to do something for our backups as the time to take the backup of 2B is about 12 hours as its over the LAN and I am interested to shift it over the SAN bakcup.
What we have is listed below.
1- L100 with 5 LTO3 Drives attached to the veritas netbackup server via SCSI.
2- Backup server is not connected to the SAN. its over the lan and all data travel's over the dedicated LAN.
3- Hosts are connected to the san via fiber and are there on the dedicated LAN for backup purposes.

What I am thinking that we should have to plug a seperate hba on the hosts and on the backup server and put them on one zone on the switch.
OR
we have to connect the library directly to the san switch?

Thanks and Regards,
atif
3 REPLIES 3

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
The server which you want to make it as a SAN Media and also the drive / library should be connected to SAN then do a zoning.

Raghava.

atif_munir
Level 4
The server is already on SAN. But for L100 I dont know is that support or not?
secondly is there any other software required?

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Atif,

Check with your tape library vendor on the connectivity of the tape device & robotic path (e.g. SCSI/FC router, compatibility matrix, etc)

For Netbackup end, you need to purchase SAN Media Server license for the hosts and if you're (or want to) sharing tape drives between these hosts and the backup server, SSO is needed. But first, you must get your backup server and tape library connected to SAN.

Another approach is to perform snapshot, or shadowImage, etc on the SAN storage and mount to netbackup server to perform backup. In this appraoch you only have to connect the backup server to SAN (for mounting of snapshots) without purchasing other NBU options and connectivity for tape library to SAN. The drawback is to have extra disk space for snapshot(s).