cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scan devices at Solaris server

Asaf_Eskshtein
Level 3
to scan devices using Solaris server, without booting the system, I use devfsadm -C.

but then Veritas can not recognize any tape drive, only the file system and I need to boot the server.

I can I force verits to recognize tape drives without booting the server?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6
Here is some more info

How to reload the st driver without rebooting Solaris 7 11/99 and above
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245499.htm

Details:
The device management in Solaris is enhanced by using the devfsadmd daemon with Solaris 7 (Release 11/99) and newer major versions like Solaris 8. This daemon of capable of dynamically reconfiguring devices during boot process as well as in response to kernel event notifications.

The devfsadm located in /usr/sbin is the command form of devfsadmd. This replaces drvconfig (manages physical device tree /devices) and devlinks (manages logical devices in /dev). Also there is no need for the commands for specific device class type like /usr/sbin/tapes.

Thus, in order to re-create tape devices for VERITAS NetBackup after changing the /kernel/drv/st.conf file without rebooting the server, perform the following steps:

1. Shutdown NetBackup and media manager daemons.

2. Obtain the module id for st driver in kernel:

/usr/sbin/modinfo | grep SCSI

The module id is the first field in the line corresponding to SCSI tape driver.

3. Unload the st driver from kernel:

/usr/sbin/modunload -i

4. Use devfsadm to recreate the device nodes (in /devices) and device links (in /dev) for tape devices by running:

/usr/sbin/devfsadm -i st

OR

/usr/sbin/devfsadm -c tape

OR

If dangling logical links are present in /dev, cleanup can be enforced by running:

/usr/sbin/devfsadm -C -c tape

5. Reload the st driver:

/usr/sbin/modload st

6. Restart NetBackup and media manager daemons.

Related Documents:

187797: How to reload the SCSI tape (st) driver settings without doing a boot -r.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6
Does this technote help?
How to reload the SCSI tape (st) driver settings without doing a boot -r.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/187797.htm

Details:
When definitions in the st driver file (/kernel/dev/st.conf) are modified, it is a requirement that the driver be reloaded in order for the changes to take place.

While boot -r is the recommended approach, it is not always possible.

In such a case, follow these simple steps:

1. Stop all tape operations and make sure all tapes are rewound and unloaded.

2. Modify the st.conf file so that it has the correct entries in it.

3. Do a modinfo | grep tape to make sure the st driver is not loaded. If the driver does not unload, there will be an entry like this:

"86 61290000 dfe9 33 1 st (SCSI tape Driver 1.173)" in the output

If that is the case, then the module may have to be specified. To specify the module, run modunload -i or to match the above output, run modunload -i 86

4. Once the st driver module is properly unloaded, run rm /dev/rmt/*

This will delete all of the symbolic links in the /dev/rmt directory.

5. Next, run the drvconfig -i st command.

This will re-install the st driver with the new /kernel/drv/st.conf settings.

7. Then, run the following command: /usr/sbin/tapes, this should make the links in /dev/rmt

NOTE: More information on these commands is available by typing man , which will display the system manual page.

Related Documents:

245499: How to reload the st driver without rebooting Solaris 7 11/99 and above
http://support.veritas.com/docs/245499

Stumpr2
Level 6
Here is some more info

How to reload the st driver without rebooting Solaris 7 11/99 and above
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245499.htm

Details:
The device management in Solaris is enhanced by using the devfsadmd daemon with Solaris 7 (Release 11/99) and newer major versions like Solaris 8. This daemon of capable of dynamically reconfiguring devices during boot process as well as in response to kernel event notifications.

The devfsadm located in /usr/sbin is the command form of devfsadmd. This replaces drvconfig (manages physical device tree /devices) and devlinks (manages logical devices in /dev). Also there is no need for the commands for specific device class type like /usr/sbin/tapes.

Thus, in order to re-create tape devices for VERITAS NetBackup after changing the /kernel/drv/st.conf file without rebooting the server, perform the following steps:

1. Shutdown NetBackup and media manager daemons.

2. Obtain the module id for st driver in kernel:

/usr/sbin/modinfo | grep SCSI

The module id is the first field in the line corresponding to SCSI tape driver.

3. Unload the st driver from kernel:

/usr/sbin/modunload -i

4. Use devfsadm to recreate the device nodes (in /devices) and device links (in /dev) for tape devices by running:

/usr/sbin/devfsadm -i st

OR

/usr/sbin/devfsadm -c tape

OR

If dangling logical links are present in /dev, cleanup can be enforced by running:

/usr/sbin/devfsadm -C -c tape

5. Reload the st driver:

/usr/sbin/modload st

6. Restart NetBackup and media manager daemons.

Related Documents:

187797: How to reload the SCSI tape (st) driver settings without doing a boot -r.