cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vadp advanced client config validation fails

itcsge
Level 3

I have configured SAN based VADP backups and I can run the backups to completion but the policy is failing the advanced client configuration validation. what functionality is lost by not using the advanced client config?

15 REPLIES 15

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

It would be better if you could provide us more details about ur setup like version n etc..

Please verify below TN.. it might help you..

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH158592

itcsge
Level 3

We are using nbu 7.5.0.5 for both master and backup host; esxi 5.0 patch 1

I can confirm that the netbackup client service is started on the backup host and the vmware server credentials are fine - snapshots are created using this account etc as I've configured a vmware policy type for san only transport and this is working fine.

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Are you taking any application backups in the vmware policy, if yes did u select the virtual machines using VMware Intelligent Policy (VIP) query builder.

For more details please verify below TN

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH184174

If nt can you please  send us the complete error message details and policy details?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please post the error you're seeing.

itcsge
Level 3

vadp_test.jpg

itcsge
Level 3

I can confirm:-

* that i am not taking any application backups

* I manually added the hosts into the policy

* policy type vmware - see screenshot for more detail

itcsge
Level 3

vadp.JPG

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

As it seem to be a bpcd connection issue I would start with bptestbpcd -client <client> -debug from the master and media server(s) and of cause looking in the bpcd log on the client.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Use bptestbpcd to connect from the master to which ever host you've listed as the backup host in the policy.

There should be an issue there.

itcsge
Level 3

so if i'm using VADP - do i need a client installed on the guest? does nbu need to communicate with the guest itself? is the backup host/master and vcentre not working together to take a backup without needing to communicate with the guest directly - or have i misunderstood how this all works?

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

No NetBackup client installation is not required for VADP VM image backups.

When you are performing file level restores on the VM's then you will need NetBackup on the VM guest.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Use bptestbpcd to connect from the master to which ever host you've listed as the backup host in the policy.

There should be an issue there.

itcsge
Level 3

i have run bptestbpcd from the master to the backup host and all appears to be fine. in log file i do see this:-

file_to_cache_item fopen() failed errno=2 referencing a file in host_cache

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Would still think you have some kind of resolution issue, as your backup host should be cached by the master

Please post the bptestbpcd output from the master to backup host and from the media server(s) to backup host

And the bpvmutil log from when the error occurs would be useful too

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne
Level 6

I am late to this discussion, but issue is still unresolved.

We need to see full policy config:

bppllist <policy-name> -L 

Please also post policy config for the policy that is working.