cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Ghost" appliance disk in OPS Center

StefanoCastelli
Level 0

Hello Everybody

I have a weird issue with Ops Center and a 5230 Veritas appliance (v 2.7.3).

The appliance has been recently installed as a Media Server and it reports no hardware or software issues through regular diagnostic features (Test Hardware, Test Software, Hardware Show Health).

Problem is: when I access OPS Center and go in the appliance hardware screen I see a disk fault for it.

If I drilldown, I get the following error:

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 16.46.17.pngIt seems that some kind of "ghost" disk appears for the appliance head enclosure.

Anyone encountered this kind of issue?

I already tried to refresh the appliance data collect on Ops Center, yet the error is still there.

Thanks in advance for your answers and opinions.

Regards

Stefano

6 REPLIES 6

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Stefano,

I have had phantom info from an appliance in OpsCenter before.  They were phantom fans, and were showing a hardware alert in appliance web management console, as well as in OpsCenter.  In my case it was a BIOS upgrade issue.  The phantom fans cleared from the appliance once the BIOS upgrade was completed correctly.  This eventually flowed through to OpsCenter and the error was cleared there as well.

When you login to the appliance web management console, does it show hardware as healthy on the Home tab, or do you see an alert there?  If you do, I suspect the error will need to be cleared there before OpsCenter is clear.  I'd drill down through the hardware section of web management on the appliance just to make sure.

One thing you could try is logging into the CLISH and running a Manage->Storage->Scan to have it refresh the disk information.  If you are seeing an alert in the web management on the appliance, maybe that will clear it.  If the error is only showing in OpsCenter then I'm guessing you'll need to contact support to have them script up something to remove it.

Regards, Steve

Castef
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks a lot Steve!

Actually the disk "error" just appears in the OPS Center. It is not shown on the Appliance web interface and it is not reported in appliance diagnostics.

I'll check the "Bios upgrade" track, maybe I'll find something there. :)

As of now, the error is just in the OPS Center, so I guess I'll have to open a support case for it.

Thanks a lot!

Stefano

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Stefano,

No problems.  I'd say if the error is only in OpsCenter then you will definitely need support to remove it.

In my case with the Bios upgrade, the appliance had the error and OpsCenter reported it.  Looks like you have a  phantom failure but only in OpsCenter.

Let us know how you get on, and if a post helps you to solve your issue then mark it as the solution for others who may hit the same issue as you.

Steve

Castef
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello!

The issue has been fixed by applying an EEB package to the OPsCenter machine.

The EEB has been provided by the support team and its code is 773EEB_ET3890743_1.

Again, thanks for the help.

Regards

Stefano

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Stefano,

Excellent news Smiley Very Happy

I'll keep that one in mind for future reference.

Don't forget to mark the solution that helped you most (which sounds like yours with the EEB).  That way people searching for a solution to the same problem as yours can find posts that have a fix.

Steve

Castef
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Trying to find a way to mark the solution. :D

Regards