cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a requirement to uninstall VVR 3.2.59.0 and install 5.1 SP2

MuthuM
Level 3

I have a requirement to uninstall VVR 3.2.59.0 and install 5.1 SP2. (We use Windows 2003 server)

I would like to have some clarity for few questions

1. 5.1 SP2 is the stable version? if no please suggest the stable version
  2. Before un-installation of VVR 3.2.59.0 do I need to take any proactive measure?
  3. Will there is any video webcast available for VVR 5.1 SP2 installation and configuration?
  4. Approximately how much time will take to install and configure VVR 5.1 SP2
  5. Un-install VVR 3.2.59.0 will corrupt the data?

Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi MuthuM,

Here is a link to the SFW 5.1 SP2 docs:  https://sort.symantec.com/documents/doc_details/sfha/5.1%20SP2/Windows/ProductGuides/

VVR guides are at the bottom of the page and the Installation/Upgrade gude is in the middle of the page.  The Installation and Upgrade Guide has a section about upgrading that includes some steps for VVR configurations.  However, the version that you are upgrading from is not supported for direct upgrade to 5.1 SP2. 

Here are some answers to your questions:

1.  5.1 SP2 is the stable version? if no please suggest the stable version

<WH> This is the most recent release of the 5.1 product line.  It contains all known patches and fixes for the 5.1 product line that were available at the time it was released.  There have been a few patches released post 5.1 SP2 but so far their are very few post 5.1 SP2 patches.

2. Before un-installation of VVR 3.2.59.0 do I need to take any proactive measure?

<WH> Since there is no direct upgrade path and there is no vxcbr backup for the 3.x product line, the best that I would recommend is to take a complete backup of your data before performing the upgrade.  This should be a standard practice for any major upgrade that you plan for your environment.

3.  Will there is any video webcast available for VVR 5.1 SP2 installation and configuration?

<WH> We have been working on installation and configuration training videos.  They are not currently available publicly and I'm not sure of the time frame when they will be.  Maybe one of the teammembers who is working on that project will comment shortly.

4.  Approximately how much time will take to install and configure VVR 5.1 SP2

<WH> The installation process can be very time consuming.  I'm assuming that you only have 1 node at each site and I would estimate an hour to uninstall 3.x on a node + reboot time, another hour to install 5.1 SP2 on a single node + reboot time, another hour to configure the environment and then add in some time for testing to ensure that everything is working as expected. 

Don't forget that you will have to do the uninstall/install process at each site.  The configuration will share some common tasks that will need to be done on both sites and some tasks that will only need to be done once in the environment.

5.  Un-install VVR 3.2.59.0 will corrupt the data?

<WH> The Unisntall of VM 3.x, SFW 4.x and SFW 5.x does not touch shared disks and leaves data intact on the shared drives.  SFW 5.1 SP2 is able to read the private region format from all prior versions of the product.  But VVR will not work until after the disk group version is upgraded to the latest version that SFW 5.1 uses.  Once the disk group version is upgraded olders versions of VM and SFW will not be able to read the private region.  As a precaution, please perform a VxCBR.exe backup of the private region prior to upgrading the disk group version. 

It is still best to have a full backup prior to performing your upgrade plan.

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi MuthuM,

Here is a link to the SFW 5.1 SP2 docs:  https://sort.symantec.com/documents/doc_details/sfha/5.1%20SP2/Windows/ProductGuides/

VVR guides are at the bottom of the page and the Installation/Upgrade gude is in the middle of the page.  The Installation and Upgrade Guide has a section about upgrading that includes some steps for VVR configurations.  However, the version that you are upgrading from is not supported for direct upgrade to 5.1 SP2. 

Here are some answers to your questions:

1.  5.1 SP2 is the stable version? if no please suggest the stable version

<WH> This is the most recent release of the 5.1 product line.  It contains all known patches and fixes for the 5.1 product line that were available at the time it was released.  There have been a few patches released post 5.1 SP2 but so far their are very few post 5.1 SP2 patches.

<WH> Since there is no direct upgrade path and there is no vxcbr backup for the 3.x product line, the best that I would recommend is to take a complete backup of your data before performing the upgrade.  This should be a standard practice for any major upgrade that you plan for your environment.

3.  Will there is any video webcast available for VVR 5.1 SP2 installation and configuration?

<WH> We have been working on installation and configuration training videos.  They are not currently available publicly and I'm not sure of the time frame when they will be.  Maybe one of the teammembers who is working on that project will comment shortly.

4.  Approximately how much time will take to install and configure VVR 5.1 SP2

<WH> The installation process can be very time consuming.  I'm assuming that you only have 1 node at each site and I would estimate an hour to uninstall 3.x on a node + reboot time, another hour to install 5.1 SP2 on a single node + reboot time, another hour to configure the environment and then add in some time for testing to ensure that everything is working as expected. 

Don't forget that you will have to do the uninstall/install process at each site.  The configuration will share some common tasks that will need to be done on both sites and some tasks that will only need to be done once in the environment.

5.  Un-install VVR 3.2.59.0 will corrupt the data?

<WH> The Unisntall of VM 3.x, SFW 4.x and SFW 5.x does not touch shared disks and leaves data intact on the shared drives.  SFW 5.1 SP2 is able to read the private region format from all prior versions of the product.  But VVR will not work until after the disk group version is upgraded to the latest version that SFW 5.1 uses.  Once the disk group version is upgraded olders versions of VM and SFW will not be able to read the private region.  As a precaution, please perform a VxCBR.exe backup of the private region prior to upgrading the disk group version. 

It is still best to have a full backup prior to performing your upgrade plan.

Thanks,

Wally