cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ENABLE READ ONLY FOR AN ENCLOSURE WITH DMP

Hello,

I have a media server where the disks belonging to a specific enclosure are misbehaving. Their response times are extremely high using vxdmpadm iostat and i can also see from the OS logs that they are faulty.

How can i just disable writes to those disks.

I dont want to to completely disable the enclosure as we have data on it that may be used for restore purposes so we need to keep read access to it.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution!

There is no option to allow

There is no option to allow only reads from potenially bad luns. You may only disable specific paths or all paths for a lun (vxdmpadm disable path=<pathname>).

Also, you may consider Removing and Replacing the failing Disks

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Accepted Solution!

There is no option to allow

There is no option to allow only reads from potenially bad luns. You may only disable specific paths or all paths for a lun (vxdmpadm disable path=<pathname>).

Also, you may consider Removing and Replacing the failing Disks

View solution in original post

Best you backup the data

Best you backup the data using a decent backup solution. Keeping information on some faulting disk is not a restoration solution. The day that you'll need the data would probably be the day that those disk finally fail completely.

Unmount the filesystem and

Unmount the filesystem and then mount it as read-only.

If applications and users are supposed to write to the volume/filesystem, be prepared for a flood of complaints and error messages.

Rather log a call with array vendor.

hi, Great idea,

hi, Great idea, Mariane.

unfortunately we mix different arrays within the same filesystem.

vxdmpadm listenclosure all
ENCLR_NAME        ENCLR_TYPE     ENCLR_SNO      STATUS       ARRAY_TYPE     LUN_COUNT    FIRMWARE
===================================================================================================
ds5100_ds5300-0   DS5100_DS5300-  600A0B8000479814000000004C5C1B60  CONNECTED    A/PF-LSI   10         0730
v_ibm_ds8x001     V_IBM_DS8x00   75WG321              CONNECTED    A/A         1         0001
storwizev70000    StorwizeV7000  0200a0438080XX00     CONNECTED    A/A        87         0000
ibm_ds8x000       IBM_DS8x00     75VF301              CONNECTED    A/A        13         .133
v_ibm_ds8x000     V_IBM_DS8x00   75VF301              CONNECTED    A/A         3         0001

the one i wanted to disabled for writes was the DS5K. the others are fine.

thanks.

Hello Riaan, thanks for your

Hello Riaan,

thanks for your good advice.

I will start planning for that from today.