cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it acceptable to use a vxfs filesystem to 100%?

trouphaz
Level 4
I am running Storage Foundation 5.0 on a Solaris 10 host.  We have a filesystem that holds some database files and the DBAs created some files on the filesystem and filled it to 100%.  If we know for a fact that these files will not grow, is it ok to leave this?  These files do not contain any data, but are the temp space used by our database.  The reason I'm asking is that we just started seeing corruption on one of the files and I'm concerned that the full filesystem could be a factor.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

trouphaz
Level 4

Yeah, I hadn't heard of that possibility either, but I figured I'd check it out.  It turns out to be a Sybase bug where heavy load on a filesystem device that is on a full filesystem will generate errors.  So, it isn't a corrupted file at all.  Oh well.  :)

Thanks for your response.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ScottK
Level 5
Employee
It's not a common configuration; most users avoid it (and even very close to 100%) because
(a) if an application needs more space immediately, it's not available. Most apps don't like that.
(b) resize fails if the file system is exactly 100% full and the file system size is an exact multiple of the allocaiton unit size (these days, that's fairly common). I suspect the developers may be working to address that in a future release.
(c) performance of some operations -- for example, growing an existing file, creating a new file -- slow as the file system has to work harder to find free space.

I haven't heard of a corruption bug due to 100% full, however.

trouphaz
Level 4

Yeah, I hadn't heard of that possibility either, but I figured I'd check it out.  It turns out to be a Sybase bug where heavy load on a filesystem device that is on a full filesystem will generate errors.  So, it isn't a corrupted file at all.  Oh well.  :)

Thanks for your response.