cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SF 5.0 Basic- How does it calculates number of system and data volumes?

milan_p
Level 2
Hi Guys,

I recently installed SF basic, and after I attempted to create 4th volume in datadg disk group it warned me :

'You have exceeded the authorized usage for this product and are out of compliance with your License Agreement'

Here is what I have:
vxprint -v
Disk group: rootdg

TY NAME ASSOC KSTATE LENGTH PLOFFS STATE TUTIL0 PUTIL0
v prod fsgen ENABLED 127261056 - ACTIVE - -
v rootvol root ENABLED 16790400 - ACTIVE - -
v swapvol swap ENABLED 67039488 - ACTIVE - -
v tmp fsgen ENABLED 8405376 - ACTIVE - -
v var fsgen ENABLED 67120896 - ACTIVE - -

Disk group: datadg

TY NAME ASSOC KSTATE LENGTH PLOFFS STATE TUTIL0 PUTIL0
v vol01 fsgen ENABLED 41943040 - ACTIVE - -
v vol02 fsgen ENABLED 41943040 - ACTIVE - -
v vol03 fsgen ENABLED 41943040 - ACTIVE - -

My question is : how does it calculate number of free volumes to make? Does it checks prtvtoc or /etc/vfstab?

Or it checks reserved words like rootvol, swapvol, var, usr, opt etc ..

I would appreciate if someone can clarify this

Regards
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ScottK
Level 5
Employee
>> Does this mean you can create 10 volumes in rootdg? rootvol, swapvol, var, usr, opt, tmp + 4 data volumes?
>> Not that you want to, but theoretically you could?
Yes, you could create those 10 volumes in rootdg.

>>And what if you want to create swapvol2? Does this count as a data volume, or just another system volume?
Great question -- took some internal research.

For Solaris, the system/boot volumes that "don't count" toward the four volume limit are:
"rootvol", "swapvol", "usr", "var", "opt", "tmp" and "home"

You didn't ask, but for others who might wonder about Linux, the system/boot volumes that "don't count" toward the four volume limit are:
"rootvol", "swapvol", "usrvol", "varvol", "optvol", "homevol", "bootvol", "tmpvol", "localvol", "efivol" and "prepvol"

So, to answer your question explicitly, swapvol2 would count as a data volume (and thus toward the four volume limit) and does not count as a system volume.

Regards,
Scott

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ScottK
Level 5
Employee
In looking at the output, it appears there are four "non-system" volumes:
vol01
vol02
vol03
prod

As I recall, the limit of four applies to data volumes within any diskgroup. the boot volumes var swap root don't count toward the limit of four, and I don't think tmp does either. off the top of my head, I don't believe /usr and /opt may count toward the limit either (may not be relevant for your configuration). You appear to be on Solaris; for other platforms the boot volumes that "don't count" toward the four differ a bit.

Note that you may also be at the four file system limit as well, if all four of those volumes have mounted vxfs file systems on them.

milan_p
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

Does this mean you can create 10 volumes in rootdg? rootvol, swapvol, var, usr, opt, tmp + 4 data volumes?

Not that you want to, but theoretically you could?

And what if you want to create swapvol2? Does this count as a data volume, or just another system volume?

Appreciate you help

ScottK
Level 5
Employee
>> Does this mean you can create 10 volumes in rootdg? rootvol, swapvol, var, usr, opt, tmp + 4 data volumes?
>> Not that you want to, but theoretically you could?
Yes, you could create those 10 volumes in rootdg.

>>And what if you want to create swapvol2? Does this count as a data volume, or just another system volume?
Great question -- took some internal research.

For Solaris, the system/boot volumes that "don't count" toward the four volume limit are:
"rootvol", "swapvol", "usr", "var", "opt", "tmp" and "home"

You didn't ask, but for others who might wonder about Linux, the system/boot volumes that "don't count" toward the four volume limit are:
"rootvol", "swapvol", "usrvol", "varvol", "optvol", "homevol", "bootvol", "tmpvol", "localvol", "efivol" and "prepvol"

So, to answer your question explicitly, swapvol2 would count as a data volume (and thus toward the four volume limit) and does not count as a system volume.

Regards,
Scott