cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with storage foundation

doca30011
Level 3

when you delete a file from a directory database (Oracle,TimesTen) created with veritas, does not release the space:

example:

[root@ixtrtc11scb ~]# ls -lrt /TimesTen/TransactionLogs/*

/TimesTen/TransactionLogs/lost+found:

total  
/dev/vx/dsk/ttdg/TimesTen_TransactionLogs

68157440  48041974  18858384  72% /TimesTen/TransactionLogs

7 REPLIES 7

joseph_dangelo
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is the platform linux?  If so, you can try to flush the file system buffer cache:

#>blockdev --flushbufs /dev/vx/dsk/ttdg/TimesTen_TransactionLogs

If it is Solaris, you can try unmounting a remounting the FS.

Let us know if that solves the issue.

Joe D

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

In addition, what scale you are looking this into ? Are you looking this into from Array prospective ?

I would suggest to have a look for Thin Reclaimation, have a look at link below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/automating-thin-storage-reclamation-veritas-storage-foundation

Gaurav

g_lee
Level 6

moved to Storage Foundation forum since the problem is related to SF components, not SFHA management products.

Regarding space not being reclaimed - were you trying to delete log files to reclaim space? If the files that were removed were being held open/being written to by an active process, this will not clear the space until the process(es) are stopped/restarted.

To check if a file is in use by a process prior to deleting it, see fuser. If the file is in use, either stop the process before deleting the file, or if you just want to zero the file, cat /dev/null to the file if you need to clear the contents.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Grace. I have seen something similar at a customer not so long ago.

Log partition on a NetBackup master server filled up. customer deleted all the logs, but space was not released. I asked him to stop NBU. My plan was to unmount, and fsck the filesystem.

The moment NBU went down, the space was released without further intervention.

paulehr
Level 2

We're seeing it at my site as well. 

RHEL 5.7 with SF 5.1SP1

We were getting ready to do a SAP system copy and blew out all of the oracle filesystems (1TB+) and when we ran a df -ah it was still showing the filesystems as having data in them. If you went into the filesystems they would show nothing there. I figured VxVM had to do some clean up in the back ground and let it set over night. Came back the next morning and it was still reporting the same. At this point I rebooted the servers and when they came back up df was reporting the correct usage. 

I verified that nothing was being left open with fuser/lsof and that the oracle database was shutdown. I'll try Joe D's suggestion with "blockdev --flushbufs" and see if that works. 

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I guess, * Thre are some hidden files those file name begin with dot. Check by "find /TimesTen/TransactionLogs -ls" instead. * You have deleted files while they are opened by some processes or kernel modules. While files are opened, file handles are kept by owner(entities that opened files), and space will not cleared although files are removed from directory entry. To fix it, you have to let owners close files. Need to stop processes/applications, or reboot the system.

robwojo
Level 2
Certified

You will see this as a process has a file in that filesystem locked, you may be able to unmount it and remount it but if that does not work (or if that causes the application using that filesystem) a reboot will clear it up.