cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 Recovery Disk - Custom Driver issue

sfosmire
Level 2

I have BESR 2010 installed on an HP Proliant DL320 G5p server, and the BESR Recovery CD validation told me that I needed to create a custom System Recovery Disk CD and add drivers for "Adaptec Processor Device (pseudo)"  When I go to create the CD image, it prompts me to point to a driver .inf file, but I have no clue where to get the driver for this device, I assume it is for the RAID controller, but the "Adaptec Serial ATA HostRAID" shows up separately in device manager, and isn't mentioned by the BESR driver validation tool.  I also have installed this on a Hyper-V VM, and there it watnts me to load drivers for the Virtual NIC, "Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter."  I've done a ton of Google searching and Symantec forum searching and I can't find any help.  Any advice on how to go about getting the drivers/inf files to finish creating these custom boot CDs?  Thanks  -Steve

7 REPLIES 7

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, you could try to locate the appropriate files by looking at the device manager.

sfosmire
Level 2

Well, I've done that, but driver files are .sys files, and the file that the CD creation is looking for is the .inf descriptor file.  It won't accept the .sys driver files, and won't accept the system directory that contains the drivers either.  Is there something else you have in mind by knowing the actual driver .sys files?  -Steve

sfosmire
Level 2

This driver is definitely needed, or some other advice for how to boot a Hyper-V VM with the BESR boot CD and have network connectivity.  I just test booted my VM on the boot CD and it fails on loading the network.  And since there is no integration of the Hyper-V, you also don't have a mouse, so when that error pops up and it isn't the focus of the keyboard, you can't hit enter and you can't click on it, so I can't figure out how to continue to load the boot environment.  -Steve

sfosmire
Level 2

OK, I don't think the Adaptec Processor Device (pseudo) is an issue any more.  I went and double checked and apparently there isn't a driver file associated with it, I must've looked at the HostRAID device by mistake, and I downloaded the Sata RAID controller driver for the DL320 G5p, and the CD creation said that this driver is already in the image.  Thanks Markus for making me double check the driver files. I will still actually have to boot on the CD and test to see if it can see the RAID controller etc. on that HP server, and do my test restore, but it'll probably be OK. 

So, now it's just the virtual NIC adapater driver that I have to figure out.  Without the ability for the Boot CD to load up network drivers, the BESR won't be able to then see the backup on the NAS share.  -Steve

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Normally the inf files for all installed drivers are located in %windir%\inf directory, you could do a search there.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Well you could insert the integration services disk in a running VM, copy the drivers form the CD drive and add it to the SRD.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Or you could assign the legacy network card to the VM before you start with the SRD.