cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR7 Various issues

dales
Level 3

Morning all,

I am running into a few problemettes with besr7, I am fairly new to this enviromnent (under a year with this company), and have just got round to testing the bare metal restore feature of the besr7 software.

The first issue is that when I go though the process of creating an custom SRD from the iso it creates is not always bootable, i.e. I can run through the srd creation wizard and the iso once burned is not bootable then I can run through the wizard again in exactly the same way and the iso will be bootable.

The second issue is that I am trying to restore a bare metal image from a old hp server to a new hp dl380 g7 (simulating a loss of building dr event), however even though when I create the custom SRD on the new server (I had tested dr by putting the besr7 backups onto usb drive which works ok) and it picks up the missing network cards from the original SRD it cannot find any network cards when booting (eventually from a good custom ISO srd disk. All I get is the loopback adapter.

Any help would be apprciated.

Regards

Dale

3 REPLIES 3

dales
Level 3

I'm still having quite alot of trouble with besr7 with getting it to recognise any network cards in the new server. Now because the create custom srd routine picks up and (so it says) incorporates the drivers into the iso I assumed that was all thats needed. Now I've considered the possibility that because the server has x64 drivers on it that they may not work with the srd (even though it detects them when you create the custom disk).

So I've booted with the official srd and also tried to install the 32bit drivers from the hp disk, with no effect either. It just does not seem to be able to find any of the new network cards.

I can see myself giving up on this and copying the image to usb and doing a bare metal install this way, and I am also aware that besr7 is now rather long in the tooth but I shall not be upgrading to the current version as it wont be long before I'm deploying a vmware environment and will be purchasing veeam or similar for the environment.

dales
Level 3

The network card on the dl380 is a hp nc382i for which there is no 32bit vista driver only a 2008 and 2003 driver both of which I have tried. I think I've exhausted all my options and that I am unable to do a bare metal recovery because there is no vista driver to load onto backup exec sys rec server edition on a server!!!! (blink).

Alberto_Carnice
Level 2

Hello

I'm newbie in BESR, though quite old user with BEXEC

I tried to test BESR2011 with a trial version.  The goal was to recover two Proliant DL360 G3 with W2003 32bits + SP2 + Citrix 4.5 over a pair of newer Proliant DL380 G7.  The goal was to use BESR with many other servers to protect just systems and BEXEC just to protect data.

But after cloning the old server, writing the Recovery CD and re-installing over an empty new G7 server , we found that NIC configuration was initially set to DHCP but after changing IP and DNS definitions, the network configuration was lost.  

I tried with two diferent source G3 and with two different G7 servers.  After booting from SRD cd, we found problems with Network cards but we upgraded firmware and HP support pack, hoping to solve those driver problems.  No success.

The NIC cards are also HP NC382i DP Multifunction Gigabit (oemized Broadcom) so there are several similarities with your problem and I wonder if there is any problem with this hw platform

Regards