cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Destination Not Defined?

leroyj
Level 3
Basically I am having problems with backing up my computer. I have read through the forums and came across nearly similar problems but with no conclusion.
Whilst looking through the forums I also got the impression that this forum is for very advanced users so please forgive me if I sound amateurish as I am just a basic user.
I have been using this software for about a year now with no problems, when I first installed this software and ran a backup of my computer (C drive) onto a folder on my D drive it worked fine.

It was only last week I noticed in my system tray that attention was needed. Went to the main screen and noticed that it said "Backup Destination Not Defined". I take it that this means that BESR is not detecting my D drive for some reason.

At this point bear in mind that I have previous saved back ups already on my D drive off previous weeks and on the main screen it says that I am backed up.

The next step I chose was to click on "Define Backup Wizard" and  enter the Easy Setup page.  On this page I then unticked the "Backup My Documents" section and left the "Backup My computer" section ticked.
Then at the bottom it asks you to create a Backup Destination which I did by directing it to my D drive. But for some reason the OK button is not highlighted therefore I am unable to perform a backup.

I then decided to re-install to see if this made a difference but unfortunately still had the same problem.

This is as far as my knowledge takes me and haven't a clue what to try now, I am tempted to go through the settings etc but might make things worse.

If there is anybody that has had a similar problem and can shed some light and info on this matter it will be much appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

marcogsp
Level 6
Some technotes that might apply

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294582.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305260.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306769.htm

Is it possible to define a job to another drive -- external or network  -- to see if the trouble holds true for any destination?

leroyj
Level 3
Thanks for the reply marcogsp but ive tried all the links you provided but with no change.

When I try to perform a backup and browse for the backup destination the OK button is still not highlighted therefore not allowing me to backup.

I also tried redirecting the backup to my C drive instead to see if the problem lay with my D drive alone but unfortunately the same happened.

This is the interesting but confusing part of it, in the Easy Setup I unticked the "Backup my Computer" section and just ticked the "Backup my Documents" section the OK button is highlighted.  It just wont let me backup my computer!!!

Hope this might help.

marcogsp
Level 6
Okay, I guess it is back to basics then.
  • What version of BESR are you running?  LiveUpdate been run recently?
  • What OS and service pack level are you running?  What is the size of the C: partition?  I've been running into trouble in the lab restoring OS partitions larger than 100GB.
  • Have you run the Fixinstall.bat file in \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery?  This will re-register components needed to run BESR
  • Has the account that starts up the Backup Exec System Recovery service been changed?  Generally, the Local System account has full access to the local computer, but not any network resources.  Try changing the startup account to a user account with full access permissions and see if that makes a difference.
  • Have the drive to be imaged and the destination drives had chkdsk /r run on them recently?  Have both source and destination drives been defragmented lately? 
Corrupt job and history files can sometimes lend trouble to the process, but I'm not sure if this would fix your issue.  The fix completely wipes out the job and history files, so it is something to try as a last resort.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/296198.htm

leroyj
Level 3
BESR version 8.5.0.28843.

Live update has only been ran when I was prompted during installation on the 2nd July.  Should i do this now? If so, which file is it situated in the C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate folder as I have not ran the Live Update manually before and there alot of files to choose from.

OS is Windows XP Proffessional 2002 service Pack 3. 
If the size of the C partition means the same as the size of the C drive then it is only 40GB with 20GB free. My D drive is 160GB if this is any use to you.

I found and ran the Fixinstall.bat file. A pop up appeared saying   " Unable to connect to the agent,  service not running " and the status is now diconnected. Also I noticed that there is a line through the BESR symbol situated in the system tray.

Im sorry for the inexperience but I am not sure what accounts you are referring to. The only accounts that I am familiar with are the user accounts ( Control panel > User Accounts). If you are referring to these they are set to Computer Administrator.

None of the drives have had the chkdsk /r ran on them recently. Should I do this?
None of the drives have been defragmented lately either.

I have not yet ran the last resort fix you mentioned http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/296198.htm

I yet again have to apologise about my inexperience with these matters as i understand it could be a bit frustrating recapping the basics to people but really appreciate the help.

marcogsp
Level 6
I ran into a problem with Fixinstall.bat stalling near line 74 on my Vista workstation.  It may be doing the same thing on your XP workstation.  Copy the following code to a text file and save it as RegBESR.bat.  The run the batch file and it should take care of the registration errors and restart  the Backup Exec System Recovery service and reactivate the tray icon.

REM   ===========================================================================

REM Stop BESR service

net stop "Backup Exec System Recovery"

REM Unregister DLL files

regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\ComConfig.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\ComLicense.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\EventMonitors.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\NotifyHandler.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\SreAPICom.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\VProAuto.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\VProObj.dll"
regsvr32 /u /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\VProScheduler.dll"

REM Register DLL files

regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\ComConfig.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\ComLicense.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\EventMonitors.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\NotifyHandler.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\SreAPICom.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\VProAuto.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\VProObj.dll"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\VProScheduler.dll"

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VProRecovery\V2iMountService.exe" /regserver

REM Start BESR service

net start "Backup Exec System Recovery"

REM   ===========================================================================

The partition sizes are okay and shouldn't be a problem.

It would be a good idea to run LiveUpdate.  The most current version is 8.5.3 but a new update is due for release later this week..

Running CHKDSK /r and defragmenting the drives would also be good practice on an ongoing basis

The startup account I'm refering to is referenced in Control Panel...Administrative Tools....Services....Backup Exec System Recovery.  Let's see if the batch file re-registering the dll files takes care of the issue before adjusting the service startup account

leroyj
Level 3
I have copied the code and ran the batch file.  Restarted BESR and tried to backup again but with no luck, still the same problem.

Ran Live update and it says its up to date.

Tried running CHKDSK /r and it said "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)" .     I typed Y then enter, restarted computer but nothing happened. Tried to run CHKDSK /r again and the same thing came up.

Then tried to defragment both drives but it said "Disk defragmenter could not start".

The only 2 options I have left are the last resort option you mentioned earlier - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/296198.htm

and the option of adjusting the service startup account unless there is anything else?

Not applicable
Hello Leroy,

i was going through the conversation i dont know uch about the BESR however have tried renaming the existing folder on the d drive, once done restart the BESR service and than try with the backup

leroyj
Level 3

hello Masti,

Im still learning about BESR myself but yes ive tried all that, even tried saving to C drive instead but still no luck.

thanks for the suggestion tho.

marcogsp
Level 6
leroyj -- That is odd that the defragmenting process would not begin. Are you sure of the amount of free space? Generally, the OS needs a minimum of 10 to 15 percent free space for disk maintenance utilities to run properly.

Even more odd that CHKDSK would not run during the reboot. The BESR Symantec Recovery Disk or SRD, does have CHKDSK on it. While booted with the SRD, go to the Analyze tab and you will be able to access a command prompt. It is always better to run disk utilities from a disk other than the one you want to analyze and repair. Again I recommend runnig CHKDSK /R on both C: and D: drives

Since you have version 8.5, you can try to cold image while booted with the Symantec Recovery Disk.  You might be prompted for your license key, so have that handy.   The cold imaging process will not create an SV2I index file, but it will rule out extremely serious disk trouble if the imaging process is successful.  This will also get you something for a backup until the hot imaging troubles can be resolved.  If CHKDSK found any bad sectors, be sure to use the option to skip bad sectors while copying.  Also be prepared to buy a new hard drive if bad sectors are found.

It sounds like your system is not on a domain so I'm thinking that changing the BESR startup account will not affect this issue.

If you want to try the clearing of job and history files, just document your job settings beforehand.  It will make reproducing the job settings easier.