cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can BESR 2010 replace Backup Exec?

Sarah_K
Level 3

I am evaluating BESR 2010 and it can restore file from the image.  I am currently have Backup Exec but I like functionality of BESR.  So I am wondering if I can deploy BESR 2010 and completely get rid of Backup Exec.  I have SQL, Exchange and Sharepoint in my environment.  Will it work well with these database?

Thank you in advance! 

11 REPLIES 11

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

BESR can do a full VSS Backup, so SQL, Exchange should be no problem.

See the Userguide for more details: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH75968

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, it should work fine.

However, please note that you can only do granular restore of Exchange and SharePoint items, not SQL.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Would you please mark this post as solved ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

May I ask you to mark this post as solved ?

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Chris, where can I find the way to restore single Exchange Server mailbox content from BESR 2010 ?

so far I'm using BESR 2010 just to perform complete image backup and restore.

criley
Employee Accredited

You can do this using the Granular Restore Option (GRO). You can find this on the 'Tools' tab in the GUI.

jbtsabw
Level 4

I totally disagree and I would not recommened replacing BE with BESR.  BESR is good for your OS drive, but that's about it.  Other drives become too large and backup take much, much too long.

I use BESR to backup the OS drive on all my physical servers and I use BE to backup all other drives to a backup to disk folder or tape.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

ah yes, that is a good solution idea.