cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating recovery points: already running

freitasm
Level 3
I have a task scheduled for 5am every day. I am getting log entries like this:

"An automatic recovery point was not created because an earlier recovery point from the same job was still in progress"

There isn't any instance of this job in progress, and actually the recovery point is created on the external drive.

The log sequence is:

Info 6C8F1F65: The drive-based backup job, Drive Backup of SYS (C:\), Data (D:\), has been started automatically.
Details: 
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery
---
Info 6C8F17E7: An automatic recovery point was not created because an earlier recovery point from the same job was still in progress.
Details: Operation aborted
---
Info 6C8F1F7E: A scheduled incremental recovery point of drive D:\ was created successfully.
Details:
---
Info 6C8F1F7E: A scheduled incremental recovery point of drive C:\ was created successfully.
Details:

This started happening after I manually cancelled a job a couple of days ago. It looks like there is an "invisible" job somewhere, not listed in the UI...

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

RBall
Level 5
I had this happen to me, opened a case with Symantec. It is caused by a memory leak that the latest patch is suppose to fix.  I have not installed that patch yet because everything is working and who knows what else will get broken.  To address the memory leak I was given a simple batch file that causes a restart clearing the memory. Use at your own risk.

--------------------
'Use this file to restart BESR v8 periodically to avoid
'memory leaks until next patch
Net Stop "Backup exec System Recovery"
Net Stop "Symantec SymSnap VSS Provider"
Net Stop "SymSnapService"
Net Start "Backup exec System Recovery"
Net Start "Symantec SymSnap VSS Provider"
Net Start "SymSnapService"
---------------------

I run the file weekly with the scheduler when I know the server will not be busy making a backup.

/RB

Message Edited by RBall on 05-16-2008 05:54 AM

aychekay
Level 5
Partner
We still have this problem and it appears to affect both v7 and v8. If we make changes to the schedule on an existing job or add and delete jobs, that error occurs until we either reboot the server or restart the services. It seems like restarting only the BESR service is enough to clear out this error.

Yury_Urbanovich
Level 3
We have same issue. In most cases stop and restart services solve problem. But im some cases Bacup Exec System Recovery or any other service cannot be stopped. So only restart of computer helps.