cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error E1AD3212 when starting BESR immediately after installation

Tim_W_
Level 2
I have found another person that had the exact same issue, but doing the fixes that seemed to work for him, does not work for me.

I have installed it on Windows Server STD 2003, SP2. The server is not a member of a domain, it is a stand alone server in a workgroup. It installs without error, reboot, the welcome screen starts, I click next and get the error.

"Error E1AD3213: You do not have sufficient privileges to perform this operation. 
See help for more information about security settings."
I have duble checked the security permissions with the security tool, everything checks out ok.
I have run the fixinstall.bat file and with no difference. 
Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Much appreciated.

Tim 
13 REPLIES 13

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Error message,

"Error E1AD3213: You do not have sufficient privileges to perform this operation

is currently under investigation by Symantec Corporation. Pending the outcome of the investigation, this issue may be resolved by way of a patch or hotfix in current or future revisions of the software.

Due to the illusiveness of this issue Symantec Technical support request those able to and having this issue to call into support and open a support ticket.

Recent developments indicates that the issue may be hardware driver related.  A suggestion being tried at this time is the following:

WARNING: The suggestion listed below may lead to data lost  or expose the system to on-line threats. It is advisable to take precautions by isolating this system during this troubleshooting process and make adequate backups of the data on this system before proceeding.

• Uninstall Backup Exec System Recovery through Add & Remove Programs
  • Update the firmware and drivers use for all mass-storage controllers on the system that is reporting the error; even if the drives on a specific controller is not going to be a part of the backup process.
  • Temporarily disconnect any non-internally attached drives (i.e. SAS’s, LUN’s, 1394, USB, etc.)
  • Temporarily uninstall all filter driver base-applications that monitor or perform maintenance tasks to the remaining drives (i.e. Defragmentation, AV, Security, etc.)

WARNING: Disabling security software may expose the system to on-line threats. It is advisable to take precautions by isolating this system during this troubleshooting process.

• Use the MSCONFIG.EXE Windows utility to selectively startup the system maintaining only system critical services and startup processes.
  • Re-install Backup Exec System Recovery and reboot when prompted.
  • Upon reboot, attempt to complete the install.

Again, due to the illusiveness of this issue Symantec Technical support request those able to having this issue to call into support and open a support ticket. If you need assistance on this matter, please contact Contact Customer Care at 800.721.3934

If the above suggestion does not correct the issue and you feel this issue has a direct business impact for you and your continued use of the product, please contact your Symantec Sales representative or the Symantec Sales group to discuss these concerns. For information on how to contact Symantec Sales, please see http://www.symantec.com/business/contact_sales.jsp

Daveed
Level 4
I too am having this problem on one of our servers, yet it has installed fine on the other four that we use.

I have raised a support call with Symantec and after an hour on the phone and being passed from one rep to another, I ended up with just a case reference and nothing else. Must admit I thought the service they provided was pathetic!!

If anyone does have any morew ideas on how to resolve this then I would love to hear from then as this is driving me up the wall!

Tim_W_
Level 2
Hi Dave, for the problem server, we upgraded to 8.0.1, the install went fine, and the backups are now running fine as scheduled. No issues when running the initial wizard after the first reboot, which of course was issue we were running into on this server.

I suspect if you are able to upgrade to 8 on this server it will also be fine.

Regards,

Tim

David62277
Level 2
1. Uninstall BESR
2. Delete the Symantec key from HKLM\Software (be careful if you have other Symantec products installed... just get the ones for BESR).  You may want to export the key just incase.
3. Reinstall

All fixed...

Daveed
Level 4
We ended up downloading version 8 of the software and it did the trick... no problems since... touch wood.

Scott_Douglass
Level 3

1. Regedit HKLM/Software/Symantec Permissions Logged in user + Everyone FC
2. Ran security configuration tool added logged in user

3. "Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery service - not found in list services.msc"
4. Ran FixInstall.bat
5. Started service
Aok.

Registered Updated BESR 8.0.3 Liveupdate no further issues.

Brett Douglass

Evolution IT PTY LTD

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Is anyone here continuing to run into this error after upgrading to 8.0 or later?

dizza
Level 3

I am getting this issue right now after reinstalling BESR 8.02. I believe I am getting this error though because the "Backup Exec System Recovery" service will not start. I keep getting a runtime error when starting the service.

eddie_zhang
Not applicable

I just met the same problem today. And after following Scott Douglass's suggestions, I fixed the problem.

At first, after I  rebooted our Win2K3 server which just finished the BESR 8.5 installation, I saw the error message.

I also can not see the "Backup Exec System Recovery"  service in the list services.msc. So I just ran the "FixInstall.bat"  tool in the "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery", then it registered some dll files. When the bat file ended, I can see the "Backup Exec System Recovery" service in the list services.msc.

:)

Symanticus
Level 6
OK, that sounds great, I also got that error message when upgrading from 8.5.5 into 2010.

JWK
Level 4
I receive this error when opening 8.5.6.

JWK
Level 4

Here is how I fixed it. I cleared all of the Windows event logs on the workstation. The program opened correctly after doing this.

Symanticus
Level 6

wow yes, clearing the Eventlog did the trick mate.

after that I reboot the server and everything backs to normal.