cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error EBAB03F8 still occurs in SSR 2013 R2

Anguel
Level 4

Hi!

I have installed SSR 2013 (R1) on about 10 current Dell Optiplex PCs with Win 8.1 Pro (Update 1). I have setup two simple daily backups: One full backup to a server on my network and one incremental to a PC's local HDD. On every PC now and then the incremental backups fail with the strange error:

EBAB03F8: 'CHECK failed, Computer::CreateImageFile: Computer.cpp(1517): guid != Guid() && sequence != 0xffffffff && sequence > 0.'. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

This means that the incremental backups cannot be created successfully for some unknown reason and a new base has to be recreated next time the backup runs. This is really annoying and I had reported this error in the past without receiving any solution here in the forums. Now I hoped that SSR 2013 R2 would finally solve the problem but it did not. I upgraded one PC to SSR 2013 R2 (yes you really have to pay for this "updgrade") and the same error occurs again.

The main error reference I found is this: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH217964

I wonder how long Symantec needs to get this hotfix tested and merged into the release. I am getting this error on each of my PCs and I am seriously considering to switch to a different backup product if the issue is not going to be solved immediately because it makes the program useless.

Other knowledge base articles state that the error might be caused by another backup program installed. There is no such program installed. Anti-virus used is from Symantec (Norton Internet Security) so this should have been tested at least to work ok...

Anguel

56 REPLIES 56

Anguel
Level 4

Gerhard, I think they are greyed out because you already have an incremental job set for this drive. You can have only one incremental job, the others must be full backups.

Anguel
Level 4

Well, because my previous reply is now pending moderation for multiple hours I will repost it here with the link to Microsoft system protection explanation removed:

---

Yes, I regard Microsoft system protection as an additional layer of protection at the OS level that is auto-triggered on important events like program or driver installations. In contrast, I run SSR backups only during the night.

Additionally, I don't trust any backup program 100%. So the more layers of protection the better, you never know what you will need when and if it will work when you need it. So far I have not seen any backup program failing to work with Windows' own system protection...

Regarding the tests: The SSR 2013 R2 PC that always failed to do the incrementals in the past now suddenly "fixed" itself for some reason and now succeeds. I will see if I have SSR 2013 R2 trail installed on other PCs that still fail.

---

In the meantime I have found another PC with SSR 2013 R2 trial which was failing to do incrementals due to the "check failed" error. So I turned OFF system protection (and set the protection size to 100%, whatever purpose the developers see in doing the latter...). Indeed, the incrementals now run without failure. Then I reenabled system protection and set its max.size to 3%. I also created two manual recovery points in system protection. The incremental backups still run fine. The question is for how long...

Anguel

Gerhard_G_
Level 3

I switched the Option for ignoring corrupt sectors off, despite that it works. Strange.

Informationen 6C8F1F86: Ein inkrementeller Wiederherstellungspunkt von Laufwerk C:\ wurde nach der Installation bzw. Deinstallation von Software erstellt.
 DENTFL-Details:
 DENTFL-Quelle: Symantec System Recovery

Ooops, I also switched the Window protection off, ok I have to run another test with protection switched on again and area set back  to 10%  ...

Gerhard_G_
Level 3

It seems, that the new Backups are generating basic sets only, after switching windows protection [on] and ignoring badblocks in ssr [off].

criley
Employee Accredited

Gerhard,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'basic sets' - can you explain please?

Gerhard_G_
Level 3

Incrementals are greyed out, and there are only full (incremental basic sets?) backups created.

Gerhard_G_
Level 3

That happend two times, because there was a message to manually correct things, but now it works with incremental snapshots WITHOUT the option 'ignoring corrupt sectors' and WITH Windows Protection switched [on] with 8% volume aerea for protection set.

Ok, I must admit, that I'm now confused.

Laufwerk- und Backup-Ziele:
    (C:\) bis \\OPENINDIANA\oi_bak\NortonGhost\C_Drive.v2i

Neuen Wiederherstellungspunktsatz (Basis) starten:
    18:14, 1 jedes Monats, beginnend am 24.09.2014
    Nächste Ausführung: 01.01.2015 18:14

Geplante Backup-Zeit:
    Um 09:00 an den festgelegten Tagen der Woche, beginnend am 08.04.2013
    Nächste Ausführung: 22.12.2014 09:00

Optionen:
    Backup-Name: Laufwerk-Backup von (C:\)
    Komprimierungsstufe: Standard
    [X] Nach Erstellung Wiederherstellungspunkte überprüfen
    Begrenzung des Wiederherstellungspunktsatzes: 3
    [X] Computer&namen den Namen der Backup-Datendateien voranstellen
    [  ] Backup-Dateien in einem eindeutigen Unterordner speichern
    Beschreibung: gaussling-PC (C: samsung 840 ssd)

Erweiterte Optionen:
    Maximale Dateigröße: 4589 MB
    [  ] SmartSector-Kopiervorgang deaktivieren
    [  ] Fehlerhafte Sektoren während des Kopierens ignorieren
    [X] Vollständiges VSS-Backup durchführen
    [  ] Kennwort verwenden
    Verschlüsselungsgrad: Kein

Befehlsdateien:
    Vor Snapshot ausführen: Kein
    Nach Snapshot ausführen: Kein
    Nach Erstellung des Wiederherstellungspunkts ausführen: Kein

Offsite-Kopie:
    Deaktiviert

Restore Anyware ist für diesen Wiederherstellungspunkt zulässig.

Maybe it's due to split the backup? I guess that's the only setting that might be different to the situation before, though I'm not sure. Or switching protection [off] and then [on] again has solved the issue? 

Maximale Dateigröße: 4589 MB

Anguel
Level 4

Or switching protection [off] and then [on] again has solved the issue? 

Yes, I think so. This is a strange problem that occurrs from time to time, then disappears and then reappears. I hope that Symantec will fully fix it soon, otherwise I will look for a solution from another vendor. I wasted so much time with this stupid problem. Come on, Samsung SSDs are the most widely used today! I will not accept a backup program that forces me to switch off or change the settings of Windows system protection to make it work.

Anguel

RobertDSE
Level 2

Hi Anguel,

Sorry for my delayed answer (holiday). After the last news (workaround by disabling the Windows Protection Settings of the OS disk), I know understand why I don't have any problems at home with my Samsung 850 PRO disk. I'm running Windows 2012 R2 Stdandard server on my server and that OS doesn't have the mentioned protection settings. So the problem can be further isolated to Windows 7/8.

Robert

Anguel
Level 4

Thanks for the hint Robert! I agree that I also run Server 2012 R2 and have not seen this problem there. I was also wondering why :)

I hope that Symantec will be able to fix this soon, so we can also run SSR with the default Windows OS protection settings. It cannot be that hard, I mean other backup solutions seem to work without problems.

Anguel

Johanvdv
Level 4

I too am having this problem.

Created a technical support case as the workarounds for changing the system protection or disable bad sectors do not seem to work.

The SSD's in my batch of laptops are also Samsungs but the 850 PRO model.

criley
Employee Accredited

Johan,

What is your support case number please?

Johanvdv
Level 4

Support case number : 08299039

It has been closed since due to 'waiting for 2013R2 SP2'.

Anguel
Level 4

Very bad news: This bug will NOT be fixed. Quote:

Just a note to say that we are not planning to fix the issue you reported: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH226271.

The reasoning behind this decision; our engineering team believe the issue is on the Samsung side of things. We need assistance from Samsung in order to fix the issue. Unfortunately, despite their efforts, our engineering team have been unable to engage Samsung for assistance.

Customers running into this issue will need to use the workaround that is documented in the above TechNote.

I know this is not the news you were hoping for so sorry about that.

I am closing this case now.

Our company is definitely NOT going to disable OS protection features to make some backup software work. So we will definitely look for an alternative backup solution. I am so angry about having wasted my time on this and helping Symantec to fix the issue.

Anguel

samrollinson
Not applicable

Thanks to all who have posted before on this thread.

To add my experience.

I used Samsung SSD too.  Default system protection max use was 2%.  Changing this to 10% as per 

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH226271.html     did fix it.

Johanvdv
Level 4

I received 10 HP Elitebook G850 laptops outfitted with Samsung SSD's that all exhibited the described sympthoms. Working with support did not solve the issue as after many months of talking to Symantec Support where I mainly had to wait for the next release.

Assisted by the technical support team of a competing vendor I have stumbled upon a solution that applies to my situation.

The laptops in question were all outfitted with the standard **** HP software and utilities. One is called 'HP Client Security'. In that piece of *** software, there is a module that allows you to specify Device Permissions.  Logic that controls access (e.g. Just-in-time) to external devices such as DVD drives, removable storage, ...

Once you completely disable that module, Symantec SSR functions the way it is designed and does not return the discussed error message.

Background information : The creation of the VSS Snapshot linked to the system drive is handled by a supporting service that runs under a different user (Local System Account) than the one that is by default controlled by the HP Client Security program. The HP Client Security program treats the Local System Account different so in order to get a positive result, I always completely disabled the 'Device Access Manager with Just In Time Authentification'. Not disabling this functionality caused SSR (and competing products) to create a VSS snapshot while an out of the box Microsoft Windows 7 backup did not exhibit these problems

yk_nb
Level 3

I encountered the same error (Error EBAB03F8: A check that safeguards the integrity of the program failed unexpectedly. 'CHECK failed, Computer::CreateImageFile: Computer.cpp(1517): guid != Guid() && sequence != 0xffffffff && sequence > 0.'. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)  Details:  Source: Symantec System Recovery).

Though I have Samsung MZ7TD512HAGM-000 as system drive (Windows 7 Pro-64), the second drive (which is HGST HDD) is being affected - no incremental backup created. The Samsung SSD is being backed up.

System Protection seems to be NOT related to my case in any way: it is turned off for HGST HDD. 

Any ideas?

Thank you.