cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Symantec System Recovery 2011 to New Hardware

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Hi, I'm after any war stories for migrating SSR 2011 to a new server running Windows 2012. Are there any articles or documentation available?

At the same time I wish to look at upgrading to 2013 and was wondering what the best method for achieving  this would be.

Many Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Anything still unclear ?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

There is either restore or copy for SSR 2011 , I think Migration is not something SSR does.

You can either take a backup of your older machine and get it restored to WIndows Server 2012 or copy the data using "Recovery point Browser" .

Note : "Recovery point browser" will not restore the share permission, so a different hardware restore will be the best Idea.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Fpr Server 2013 you need SSR 2013 because SSR 2011 is not supported, afaik. What components of SSR 211 do you exactly want to migrate to SSR 2013 ?

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

I wish to migrate all components that are installed as part of SSR 2011 but the sql server instance which is already on a different server. 

Is it better to upgrade to 2013 on the existing server and then perform the migration.

Or do a fresh install of 2013 and just decommision the 2011 version.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Do you mean you use a SSR Management Solution ??

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Yes I believe so, we had backup exec before and then moved to this Management Solution that included Altiris. 

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

OK, now I understand ! Do you have the SSR MS Database on a separate SQL server or on the same machine ?

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

A seperate SQL server.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Then you just need to reinstall the OS, do a fresh installation of the 2013 SSR MS, point to the existing database  and update all SSR clients with the latest version of the Altiris Agent.

Also have a look at the admin guide: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC6257 page 26 pp.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Anything still unclear ?

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Many thanks for all of the replies, I'll let you know how I get on.