cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RDX Best Practises

chris_wilson1
Level 2

Hi All,

I have recently implemented a RDX Drive with 5x 500gb cartridges and was hoping to use this for backup, however the drives are filling up to quick and then the backup just fails is there some better practices for how to set this up.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You should Plan a backup startergy i.e Create media set with proper overwrite protection period and append period so that the data which you dont need any more gets overwriten by the backup job .
You need to configure the device as a removable backup to disk folder .

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
OOps posted by mistake Thought it was backup exec .
refer the following link
http://support.veritas.com/docs/331961

That is just the known issue with the RDC Drive

chris_wilson1
Level 2

thanks rahalg but you have cleary not read what i have posted

Digerati
Level 4
Hi Chris Wilson

What is the backup cost (size) ?
Is it just ONE Server you are backing up ?

I backup around 180GB onto a rdx drive, I have selected independent recovery point set, then if you

Right click on your backup job, edit settings > Options page, then select limit the number of recovery points and select 1,  use higher compression (it really compresses)

THEN :
go into "Tools > Manage Backup Destination" 
Click on Settings on the above screen, and then you can select to delete automatically instead of warning you of storage.

I use the above settings, so basically when it backs up daily, after it has finished it deletes the old backup.

You can also write a batch file to format the rdx cartridge before the backup starts - so you have all space. Make sure the rdx sticks to one drive letter.

let me know if you need further assistance