cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering Windows Server 2008 R2 (dissimilar hardware)

Rohaizad
Level 3

Hi,

I am trying to recover one of a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine that I have already successfully backup. This is for disaster recovery testing purpose. The steps I have taken are as below :

1) Backup the machine. (success)

2) Load the backup image into a portable hard drive.

3) Boot the DR machine and load the SSR2011 SRD.

4) Locate the image files and load them at the SSR2011 recovery console. (system reserved  & drive C backup) 

5) Edit the option for System Reserved. < Set drive active (for booting OS), Restore original disk signature >

6) Edit the option for Drive C. < Restore original disk signature >

7) Shift + tick on the Use Restore Anywhere to recover to different hardware checkbox. and select the option <Prompt for drivers>.

8) Start the recovery process.

9) Loads the driver when prompt.

10) Restart the machine.

Once I booted up, upon loading windows screen there will be a short BSOD then the machine will restart on itself. This process will repeat over and over again. I need guide for those who have succcessfully recover their Windows Server 2008 R2 machines on a different hardware. Hope to hear from you guys soon. 

11 REPLIES 11

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Does this match ?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129858&key=53845

Rohaizad
Level 3

Markus,

No, my case doesnt match the link that you provide. Thanks for your reply.

criley
Employee Accredited

Are you able to capture the blue screen stop code? A screenshot would be useful.

A-H-S
Level 3
Partner

Hello Rohaizad,

which driver did you install in phase 9?

Sometimes it is a Problem in the bios of the new machine. If you have sata-drives,

check for IDE and AHCI mode. Control it in both systems, that the mode is the same.

Regards

Achim

Rohaizad
Level 3

A-H-S, yea, I also suspects that this might be because of the driver issue, yesterday I have tried to change the option and select (Delete existing drivers) and the machine managed to boots up minus the AD & networking function. Today will test up Delete existing drivers + Prompt for drivers option.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Like Achim said, changing the SATA controller mode in the BIOS from AHCI to the compatible mode can somtimes prevent these blue screens (typically Stop error 07b). But as Chris said, get the stop error code so we know for sure.

Rohaizad
Level 3

Hi all, changing the SATA controller mode doesnt solve the issue, but I found out that if I were to use the default option for Restore on different hardware, which is Delete existing drivers + Run Mini Windows setup, the machine will boot up successfully plus retaining the domain information (member server), previously I have done the same on version 8.5, but it didnt retain the domain information. Will try out on DC to see if it works.

Rohaizad
Level 3
Hi all, restore anywhere + Run Mini Windows setup doesnt work on DC. Need to find other methods to restore, by the way, the BSOD error are as follows : STOP : 0x0000007B (0xFFFFFA60005AF9D0, 0xFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x000000000000000)

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Does it work when the Run Mini Windows setup is not checked?

ProductPro
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Greetings,

Have you tried this article?:   http://www.symantec.com/docs/tech129112?

This is a comprehensive technote covering the restore of Windows Vista, 7, 2008, and 2008 R2.

Thanks,

ProductPro

Dinsdale
Level 3
Partner

We have the same issue described by original poster.  Followed the Symantec tech document and still BSOD that goes by too quickly to read and a reboot.