cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP alerts do not work, why??

TomMLS
Level 5
Can anyone please advise me on how to fix this??
They worked fine in BESR 7.x, then Symantec support asked me to uninstall all old versions (they gave me uninstallers) and re-install BESR 8.x, and after that, SMTP email alerts stopped working.
How do I restore SMTP alerts??
I have already tried every mail server name etc. that I can think of.
Thank you, Tom

3 REPLIES 3

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The message:

Error ECE3006A: Unable to send notification e-mail. The transport failed to connect to the server. The new notification settings were tested and were not successful. Would you like to continue anyway?

Is still being investigated and currently does not have a single fix. We have seen where if the settings changed so that the TO and FROM address are the same and/or if you are currently using NTLM Authentication change to use Basic authentication has worked in getting notifications to go through once again.  If you are using anonymous value be sure that .Notify.xml value:

<Anonymous vt="11">0</Anonymous>

In C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent is changed from 0, to 1 while the Backup Exec System Recovery service is stopped.

TomMLS
Level 5
Thank you for responding.
I searched my server's Program Files/Symantec/BESR and I don't even have a notify.xml in that area or anywhere else on my server's C:\ drive, where BESR is installed.
Should I create such a file?? If so, how??
Thank you, Tom

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Actually no, if you have not already done so see if upgrading to the most recent build allows you to create your SMTP notifications correctly.