cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Cannot create a virtual volume image of the selected drive" error

JWK
Level 4
Error E0BB0147: The operation 'Snap Volume' in not currently enabled for this Volume.

I am using a trial of version 7. This is running on Windows 2003 Server.

Has anyone seen this?

10 REPLIES 10

JWK
Level 4
I found this in the Ghost 10 documentation.
When trying to perform a backup operation, Norton Ghost reports, "Error E0BB0147: The operation 'Snap Volume' is not currently enabled for this Volume." One of the following may cause this error message with the SymSnap.sys driver:
- The driver does not load properly during the Windows startup process.
- The driver is not properly registered in the Windows registry.
- The driver does not exist in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder To resolve the problem, check the following:
- Confirm that SymSnap.sys exists in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder.
- Confirm that SymSnap appears in System Information > Software Environment > System Drivers.

JWK
Level 4
Has anyone else seen this?

This is still a problem.

TMurfet
Level 3
Yes I am seeing this with a default install of BESR 7.0. on a Dell 2650 Server with Win 2003 R2 SP2. As far as I can see the symsnap.sys driver is not installing or being registered at all. The only Symantec document I can find only states what I have stated here. No help on how to fix this.

Since we rely on this product for all our servers it looks like version 6.52 will be the last version we use. Unless Symantec steps forward and provides me with a solution.

Cheers, Anthony Murfet.

Message Edited by TMurfet on 06-07-200701:00 PM

TMurfet
Level 3
OK I have an answer for this problem. I cannot believe the solution though. There is a batch file located at "systemdrive\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery" called "Fixinstall.bat" that registers "SymSnap.sys" and after a server re-start the problem is gone.
Why is this not mentioned in the readme file?

Anthony Murfet

JWK
Level 4
My problem is that the install seems to hang and it never installs all of the files correctly. I am waiting for support to get back to me.

Linda
Not applicable
Did you ever get an answer as to why it hangs?  It does for me, too.  If I kill it, it seems like it has completed because the program comes up but I get the same error you've mentioned in an earlier post.

Aimee_Barborka
Level 3
Linda,
I'm not sure what would cause it to hang. If it's towards the end of the install it's attempting to register the services.  If you run the fixinstall.bat does it fix the problem?

Thanks,
Aimee

Cookie_2
Level 2
Anyone got a solution to this yet?  I've just uninstalled Live State v6 and put BESR v7 on a W2K3sp1 box and it won't install properly.  The symsnap.sys install fails everytime.

AJ1
Not applicable
Partner
I can across the same error and I copied all of the .sys files from:

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Shared\Drivers\win32\win32 and
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Shared\Drivers\win32\x86\x86

to C:\WINNT\system32\drivers, restarted the computer and the error no longer comes up.

Message Edited by AJ on 07-14-200701:04 PM

Cookie_2
Level 2
Cheers.  That's similar to how it's now (hopefully) been fixed.

I raised an incident with Symantec and the advice received was...
1. Uninstall
2. Run a remove batch script to expunge all traces of BESR v7
3. Run a utility to remove any remainders of Live State Recovery v6
4. Reinstall
(script & utils supplied by them)

This still failed on the symsnap.sys install.  Killed the msiexec, logged out and back in, and "completed" install.

Symantec then advised this:
1. Copy Symsnap.sys, V2iMount.sys, VProEventMonitor.sys and wimfltr.sys from C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Shared\drivers\win32\win32\ to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\
2. Run FIXINSTALL.BAT from C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\
3. Reboot the system

After doing this, I've successfully taken an image.

For info, when I was installing on this server, I didn't uninstall LSR first.  The BESR installer detected it and did the uninstall, rebooted, then carried on.  I had another server to upgrade and on that one I uninstalled LSR first, rebooted and then installed BESR and it worked with no problems.