cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compliance Accelerator - New Cust DB

Voine
Level 4

We are creating a new Customer Database but want to keep the old DB for historic\audit reasons.

How can we ensure once we create the new DB and import the employees\departemnts that all new emails from random capturing wil go only to the new DB ? Do we only need to disable all scheduled searches and Random capturing ? I'm ok if the users still want to run ad-hoc seatches but want to make sure nothing new will come into their queues...

Also is there a way to take an export of the current settings config so we can import the same settings to the new cust db. (Random Capture time, sampling type...etc)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Voine;

The best way to ensure your new customer is the only one to capture messages for Random Sampling is to:

1) Set the 'VaultID(s)' field contents of the old customer to anything that does not have a space (i.e, DO_NOT_USE).

2) Leave the 'VaultID(s)' field of the new customer blank.  This will change the 'default' customer from the old to the new customer.

3) In the old customer - 

a) Disable monitoring for all Departments.

b) Stop all search schedules (either disable or set an end date on each one)

c) Disable the 'Enable background processing of capturted items' in the Configuration tab, Settings sub-tab, Random Capture group.

1. To disable this option -

a. Uncheck the check box in the Value column of this option.

b. Click the Save button.

c. Click the OK button to acknowledge the requirement to restart the Customer Background Task

d. Restart the Enterprise Vault Accelerator Manager Service (EVAMS for short) on the CA server.

Some things to note:

1) CA with the Journal Connector (JC) installed defaults to running searches based on the Department ID tag applied to journal archived items.

2) Random Capture / Random Sampling requires the JC to be installed.

3) The Department ID assignments to the Departments between the old and new customers will very likely be different, so searches in the new customer against data archived prior to the new customer being configured will likely return invalid hits based on the old customer's department tagging of items.

As for copying the configuration settings from the old customer to the new customer using a SQL script, we don't support that action.  What we do support is running a SQL query to list all of the configuration settings that have been customized, showing the configuration section along with the option name and its current setting.  Having the output of that query will allow someone to easily set the options and save all of the changes at one time, then restart EVAMS and the Journal Task(s) as appropriate.

That SQL query is:

SELECT tc2.Name AS 'Customer Name'
     , tcs.Name AS 'Configuration Section'
     , tcd.Name AS 'Configuration Name'
     , tc.Val AS 'Configuration Value'
FROM tblConfiguration AS tc
INNER JOIN tblConfigurationDefinition AS tcd
  ON tc.ConfigurationID = tcd.ConfiguationID
INNER JOIN tblConfigurationSection AS tcs
  ON tcd.ConfigurationSection = tcs.SectionID
INNER JOIN tblCustomer AS tc2
  ON tc.CustomerID = tc2.CustomerID
ORDER BY tc2.Name
       , tcs.Name
       , tcd.Name

If you are running CA 10.x, having the options listed alphabetically will help as the options are displayed alphabetically.  If you are running CA 8.x or 9.x, the options are not listed alphabetically, so you'll have to look for them (sorry about that).

I hope this helps.  Good luck with the new customer db.  Please let us know if you need anthing more for this work.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

Voine;

The best way to ensure your new customer is the only one to capture messages for Random Sampling is to:

1) Set the 'VaultID(s)' field contents of the old customer to anything that does not have a space (i.e, DO_NOT_USE).

2) Leave the 'VaultID(s)' field of the new customer blank.  This will change the 'default' customer from the old to the new customer.

3) In the old customer - 

a) Disable monitoring for all Departments.

b) Stop all search schedules (either disable or set an end date on each one)

c) Disable the 'Enable background processing of capturted items' in the Configuration tab, Settings sub-tab, Random Capture group.

1. To disable this option -

a. Uncheck the check box in the Value column of this option.

b. Click the Save button.

c. Click the OK button to acknowledge the requirement to restart the Customer Background Task

d. Restart the Enterprise Vault Accelerator Manager Service (EVAMS for short) on the CA server.

Some things to note:

1) CA with the Journal Connector (JC) installed defaults to running searches based on the Department ID tag applied to journal archived items.

2) Random Capture / Random Sampling requires the JC to be installed.

3) The Department ID assignments to the Departments between the old and new customers will very likely be different, so searches in the new customer against data archived prior to the new customer being configured will likely return invalid hits based on the old customer's department tagging of items.

As for copying the configuration settings from the old customer to the new customer using a SQL script, we don't support that action.  What we do support is running a SQL query to list all of the configuration settings that have been customized, showing the configuration section along with the option name and its current setting.  Having the output of that query will allow someone to easily set the options and save all of the changes at one time, then restart EVAMS and the Journal Task(s) as appropriate.

That SQL query is:

SELECT tc2.Name AS 'Customer Name'
     , tcs.Name AS 'Configuration Section'
     , tcd.Name AS 'Configuration Name'
     , tc.Val AS 'Configuration Value'
FROM tblConfiguration AS tc
INNER JOIN tblConfigurationDefinition AS tcd
  ON tc.ConfigurationID = tcd.ConfiguationID
INNER JOIN tblConfigurationSection AS tcs
  ON tcd.ConfigurationSection = tcs.SectionID
INNER JOIN tblCustomer AS tc2
  ON tc.CustomerID = tc2.CustomerID
ORDER BY tc2.Name
       , tcs.Name
       , tcd.Name

If you are running CA 10.x, having the options listed alphabetically will help as the options are displayed alphabetically.  If you are running CA 8.x or 9.x, the options are not listed alphabetically, so you'll have to look for them (sorry about that).

I hope this helps.  Good luck with the new customer db.  Please let us know if you need anthing more for this work.

Voine
Level 4

Thanks for the reply. We have about 12,795 departments in CA. What would be the best way to disable monitoring for all departments ? ( I really can’t go into each department to disable monitoring)

Also the query didn't work. I don’t have the following tables. We currently have v 9.0.2

tblConfigurationDefinition

tblConfigurationSection

tblConfiguration

tblCustomer

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

Sorry, I should have specified that the query should be run against the CA Configuration database, not the customer db.  My bad.  Sorry again.

If you have a good SQL DBA, they should be able to write a SQL update statement to change the tblCase table entry for the Bypassmonitoring column entries from 0 to 1.

Voine
Level 4

I tried to run it off the config table as well but the

tblIntSecurity is not there. Since we are keeping the same conifg table..will the same settings be used fo rthe new CUST DB ?

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

OK.  I'm confused now.  The query in the comments above is to be run against the CA Configuration db. The above query does not reference tht tblIntSecurity table.  The tblIntSecurity table is in the CA Customer db and has been there since CA 6.

Is it possible that you've mixed the forum threads and are referring to the other thread where you are looking for a way to show the 'On behalf of' assignments?  If you have, the query from that thread should be run against the CA Customer db - which will have the tblIntSecurity table.

Voine
Level 4

Yes I did get the threads mixed up but the above query did not work at first...

but i was able to get it to work...line 7 had a typo -

ON tc.ConfigurationID = tcd.ConfigurationID

Thanks for all your help

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6

Ah, yes.  I left out an 'r'.  Sorry about that.  I'm glad you were ablt to catch and correct that typo.