cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D2B2D? Is this possible?

OzzL
Level 3
Hello,

I've recently inherited an existing backup scenario and discovered it doesn't really work... What we're trying to do is do a full backup to disk every night, and then duplicate that backup to another machine which has a removal drive that's taken offsite.

I've got my two B2D folders, one as the destination of the daily backup(Let's call it B2D folder 1), one as the destination of the duplicate job (B2D folder 2). The problem is whenever BE does its duplicate job, it puts the last disk in the media set back on the B2D folder 1 and makes the set on B2D folder 2 incomplete. It will not catalog properly and is not a viable set... the last disk can be moved over manually and things look alright, but that's obviously a pretty crude solution.

Is there some setting I'm missing here, is this not possible? I realize the duplicate jobs are meant to be using a tape library, but it's just not viable in our environment.

Backup Exec version is 12.5. TIA!
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

on your duplicate job, are you specifying the second B2D device?  or just letting it default to the "All Devices" pool?

OzzL
Level 3
Under destination, the B2D folder 2 is specified. Set to always overwrite, and neither of the available options (retainsion media before backup and eject after backup) are enabled.

Under source, it's set to any but I don't think that would affect it?

Also I forgot to mention in my OP, but both the Daily full backup and my duplicate backup are set to use the same media set - could that confuse it?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Under destination, the B2D folder 2 is specified. Set to always overwrite

OK, good

Also I forgot to mention in my OP, but both the Daily full backup and my duplicate backup are set to use the same media set - could that confuse it?

Shouldn't make any difference, but you can create another media set just to rule it out

OzzL
Level 3
No luck... It actually wrote two B2D to the wrong folder this time.

I'm thinking my next step might be to start with a "blank slate" so to speak and to delete all the existing media from the media server and try from scratch tonight and hopefully it can figure out how to do this correctly. I'm beginning to lose my faith in BEs ability to do as it's told though - could this be some kind of bug? 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Are you using the Template provided by Symantec or setting up your own?

Rather that mess with media sets, I'd try setting up another policy from scratch first (yeah, that's VooDoo tech support, but sometimes it does work   8-P

OzzL
Level 3
All defaults. It looks like the only thing the original tech did was specify what he wanted backed up (Exchange IS), the frequency (every night), type (full) and then do a duplicate job from there.

it's a really basic setup.. I'll look into a custom policy but it seems like overkill all things considered. But thanks for your suggestions!