cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 Rev.2213

Matt_Tech
Level 4

Hi, I have a device pool with 6 missing drves that I'm unable to remove all options are grayed out.  I've already tried deleting all devices, even those that are working, running tapeinst.exe, changed job setup so they are using specific drives, many reboots and restarts of services too.

Any ideas, thanks in advance?

Thanks

DevicePool.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am suspecting that the missing devices are somehow related to the NDMP server.  Is the EMC NDMP server connected to the FC SAN, and therefore able to see the robotic library?

I see you have a Quantum PX500 library with 4 HP LTO4 drives.  That isn't officially supported by BE, but I doubt it is your core issue.

Some things are definitely confused in your environment.

0002:0000:0000:0000  "ql2300", (Port Driver)
0002:0000:0000:0000  "QUANTUM PX500           0033", (Changer Device), "\\.\MediumChanger0"
0002:0000:0001:0000  "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  H5EZ", (Tape Device), "\\.\Tape0"
0002:0000:0002:0000  "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  H5EZ", (Tape Device), "\\.\Tape1"
0002:0000:0003:0000  "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  H5EZ", (Tape Device), "\\.\Tape2"
0002:0000:0004:0000  "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  H5EZ", (Tape Device), "\\.\MediumChanger1"

the last line should say \Tape3, not \MediumChanger1.  It looked correct yesterday.

I also see lots of errors in the log about the NDMP being unsupported and skipping devices.

I would suggest removing the NDMP server and all the tape drives and libraries from BE.  Then take it one step at a time and make sure everything work with the Quantum library.  Then try to see if you can get the NDMP working, maybe without an FC connection at first.  You may need to upgrade your version of BE as 12.5 is pretty old.  DART 6 became supported with BE 2010 R2.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to the BE installation directory and use the BEUtility to do a repair of the BEDB.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the repair does not work, then a edit of the BEDB might be required. Would recommend to log a formal support case so that the missing entries could be removed.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Can you post your adamm.log please?

"missing" devices are usually the result of a reobotic library reporting that it has X drives attached, but BE is not able to find all X drives.  The difference between X and what BE finds are created as missing devices.  Normally they are easy to delete.  Newer versions of BE delete them automatically, although they can get recreated if there is still a discrepancy.

Matt_Tech
Level 4

Attached is the log - thanks.

Matt_Tech
Level 4

Ran the repair and it didn't show in the GUI that it identified any problems and the drives still show up.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am suspecting that the missing devices are somehow related to the NDMP server.  Is the EMC NDMP server connected to the FC SAN, and therefore able to see the robotic library?

I see you have a Quantum PX500 library with 4 HP LTO4 drives.  That isn't officially supported by BE, but I doubt it is your core issue.

Some things are definitely confused in your environment.

0002:0000:0000:0000  "ql2300", (Port Driver)
0002:0000:0000:0000  "QUANTUM PX500           0033", (Changer Device), "\\.\MediumChanger0"
0002:0000:0001:0000  "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  H5EZ", (Tape Device), "\\.\Tape0"
0002:0000:0002:0000  "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  H5EZ", (Tape Device), "\\.\Tape1"
0002:0000:0003:0000  "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  H5EZ", (Tape Device), "\\.\Tape2"
0002:0000:0004:0000  "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  H5EZ", (Tape Device), "\\.\MediumChanger1"

the last line should say \Tape3, not \MediumChanger1.  It looked correct yesterday.

I also see lots of errors in the log about the NDMP being unsupported and skipping devices.

I would suggest removing the NDMP server and all the tape drives and libraries from BE.  Then take it one step at a time and make sure everything work with the Quantum library.  Then try to see if you can get the NDMP working, maybe without an FC connection at first.  You may need to upgrade your version of BE as 12.5 is pretty old.  DART 6 became supported with BE 2010 R2.

Matt_Tech
Level 4

The EMC NDP box is via fiber

Interestin on the PX500, Quantum sold us that knowing we were going with BE2010.  As you noted we've not really had any problems to date.  The Librayr has the ability to emulate PX500, P2000 or Scalar50.  Would one of the other two optoins be any better?

I'm thinking I'm just goint to install 2010 R3 on the box and start from there - thoughts?

Thanks for you input!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am not an expert on the PX500, but I think it is an older library as I don't see on any of the BE HCLs with anything newer than an LTO3 drive.  Emulation is risky.  You must use the proper PX500 inquiry string to be supported.

I think your core issues are with the NDMP server and testing with BE 2010 R3 would certainly be a step in the right direction as that supports the EMC DART 6 that you are using.

Matt_Tech
Level 4

Everything is working now - thanks for all the assistance.  As an FYI:

A few months ago we updated the code on the NAS from 5.5... to 6.... and had no issues with Backups/NDMP or "missing" drives

Last week we had issue with the library and to appease Quantum I deleted the NDMP servers from BackupExec.

After the library was verified as working properly I moved to BackupExec and had issues adding back the NDMP servers that had no issue before.  So since they were added while the nas was at version 5.. they were apparently "grandfathered" in and worked without issue.

As it turned out we had upgrades for 2010 but for reasons I still not entirely understand they wouldnt upgrade our 12.5 NDMP option to 2010, so I'm using the 2010 trial for now and adding the NDMP servers was a piece of cake.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Glad to help.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Matt,

Can you please mark the correct post which indicates clearly what advice led to your solution? It makes it easier for anybody else to find it.

Thanks!