cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12 fails to restore Exchange 2007

Sully
Level 3
Hi All,

Backup Exec v12 is driving me crazy. I've been trying to restore files from multiple Exchange 2007storage groups for the past two weeks and it fails every single time. I've tried restoring directly to the dismounted original database - that failed. I created a Recovery Storage Group (each time for the particular storage group I'm trying to retore from) - that failed.

Every time I get the following two errors:
And this is the error link it refers to:
Job ended: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 8:33:56 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fed5 - A failure occurred initializing for restore.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65237

If you go to the support link it basically says both servers need to have the same patches, SPs, hotfixes, etc. My exchange 2007 server is x64 and my backup exec server is x32 - both running Windows Server 2003. Both are up to date (and both have hotfix KB940349-v3 as I saw it mentioned in another support thread).

The backup has the data, or at least shows it on the restore job...but the job fails every time with the same errors. I need data ASAP from this restore and nothing I do is working.

My Backup Exec v12 is updated to SP1 and has Hotfix 302981 installed.

Thanks in advance,
Sully
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sully
Level 3
OK, restore works for one particular account but not others. All the accounts tested are domain admins, exchange admins, with the exact same rights and permissions across the entire network (even down to the granular Exchange permissions). So I can get the restore to work, but only with one account. Symantec didn't know what to tell me on that one, so I'll just retore using that account from now on.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Vijay_S_Mishra
Level 6
Employee Certified
Do you have exchange 2007 on the BE media server ? Also, are you trying to restore only exchange IS ?

Thanks,

Sully
Level 3
Hi Vijay.  Exchange 2007 is on its own, separate server from the Backup Exec 12 server. And yes, I'm only trying to restore from the exchange information store. I've tried multiple different stores, same results (with different users too).

Regular restores from other servers work fine, just not to Exchange 2007.

Vijay_S_Mishra
Level 6
Employee Certified
are you trying to restore to a newly created exchange server with the same name as the orignal server?

Sully
Level 3
Trying to restore to the same server that it backed up from.

Vijay_S_Mishra
Level 6
Employee Certified
Open a ticket with Tech support. The logs need to be reviewed to reach any conclusion as to what is happening .

Ed_S
Not applicable
I was getting errors when restoring to an Exchange 2007 recovery store. After hours on hold for support and more hours troubleshooting, I was told that it was a known issue that BE12 can't restore to an Exchange 2007 recovery store.  Maybe BE12 can't restore Exchange 2007.  Has anyone successfully restored an Exchange 2007 Information Store?

Sully
Level 3
Wow, that would be a HUGE failure on Symantec's end. If there newest product (BE 12) can't restore to Exchange 2007, then why even back up the information store. I hope this isn't the case.

In fact, in the restore job setup there is a specific check box to restore to an RSG (Exchange 2007 only).

Thanks for the reply Ed.

Message Edited by Sully on 06-05-2008 10:20 AM

Sully
Level 3
OK, restore works for one particular account but not others. All the accounts tested are domain admins, exchange admins, with the exact same rights and permissions across the entire network (even down to the granular Exchange permissions). So I can get the restore to work, but only with one account. Symantec didn't know what to tell me on that one, so I'll just retore using that account from now on.