cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE12.5 does not honour selection list, cannot delete one.

Gijben
Level 2

L.S.

We run Backup Exec 12.5 rev 2213

In the days of limited tape space we had a selection list that excluded EXPIRED directories. Now we have a selection list that backups all. But in effect the EXPIRED directories are still not backed up.

I've use BEMCMD -o251 to list all selection lists, and saw that a list called "Excludes"exists. Trying to remove this script gives return value -1.

Made some screendumps below to show more than 1000 words.

I'm out of options here... HELP!

Daily Backup selection:

Screen Shot 02-06-15 at 09.34 AM.PNG

Trying to restore: Expired is missing!

Screen Shot 02-06-15 at 09.40 AM.PNG

Screen Shot 02-06-15 at 09.48 AM.PNG

Gee, i see a "Excludes" selection list which does not show in the GUI. What does it do?

Screen Shot 02-06-15 at 09.46 AM.PNG

Hm, that one explaines the erratic behaviour.

Screen Shot 02-06-15 at 09.48 AM 001.PNG

Cannot delete though.... bummer!

Now what?

Thanks in advance,

Loek Gijben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

if the list you are trying to delete is the global exclusion list then yes it is a default selection list that cannot be deleted Iand I think applies to all jobs in addtion to the actual job selection list

The way to edit a global exlusion list is documented here

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29548

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...open up the selection list in Text View and then remove the exclusion there.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

Try deleting the associated job as well before deleting the selection list

Use bemcmd o202 -ds instead.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The title of your post is misleading. The job is honoring your selection list which is why the Expired directory is not backed up. Rather than using BEMCMD, you should edit the selection list of your job. Click on the Exclude/include button and then delete the exclusion for the Expired directory. In future, rather than using Exclude/Include, it is easier to just uncheck the directory in your selection list

Colin_Weaver

if the list you are trying to delete is the global exclusion list then yes it is a default selection list that cannot be deleted Iand I think applies to all jobs in addtion to the actual job selection list

The way to edit a global exlusion list is documented here

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29548

Gijben
Level 2

@Colin Weaver: You are absolutely right! I forgot about the global exlusion list. And indeed it cannot be deleted. Unfortunately all links to TECH docs seem dead right now, but a scroll through the menu's was easy enough.

Thanks

@CraigV: This one is not visible in Text view as it is not a selection (there)

@VJware:This one is not associated to a single job, so that is of no good.

@pkh: I'm not aware of any misleading in the title. The global exclusion list does not seem a regular selction list to me. This is (was) not a matter of a user selcting the wrong items in the selection list. And NO: where users are dynamically adding and removing directories that are not to be backed up manually (un)checking selctions is not a way to go.

Thank you all for thinking along!