cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 - Error when trying to view job activity

Steven-Messer
Level 3

Hello,

I'm having a problem with Backup Exec 2012, when trying to view the job activity of any active backup job the following error is displayed.

After clicking OK, the Backup Exec application exits.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

9 REPLIES 9

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are all BE services up and running ?
You can try to restart all services. Also look in eventlog if any errors apear.

BTW: You are running the console as admin user ?

Steven-Messer
Level 3

Hi, yes the BE services are all running.  I wouldn't want to restart them at the time as it would cause the backup jobs to fail, but the server has been rebooted once all jobs have completed and the next time the jobs ran I tried to view the activity again but got the same error.

Once the jobs have completed I can view the Job history no problem, it's only when I try to view the activity of an active job I get the error.  I can't see any relevant errors in the application or system event logs either.

Yes the console is running as the Backup Exec service account which is a domain admin and has adminnistrator access on the media server.

Many thanks,

Steve

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

I would suggest if it is upgrade try making new job & then check & see if that still exist

Becuase in my case when I do same it is working fine for me but in my case I have installed BE 2012 from scratch

Thanks

Steven-Messer
Level 3

Hi, the install of BE2012 was done as an upgrade of the 2010 installation but most of the jobs were recreated in 2012 as I wasn't happy with the job names after the upgrade/migration.  I will try recreating the jobs again and see if I can then view the job activity while they are in progress.

Many thanks,

Steve

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When you get that error also check the event viewer to see if there are any errors related to .Net

Thanks,

-Sush...

Steven-Messer
Level 3

Hi Sush,

I eventually noticed that this error wasn't happening with every job, so I recreated the jobs it was happening with and it hasn't happened since.  I am not sure what caused this but will now assume that it's resolved.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,

Steve

Steven-Messer
Level 3

I think this error is related to the SQL database not being available at the time.  I have noticed that if the SQL services for the Backup exec database instance aren't running then the error will be displayed.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...this would be the case for all versions. BE's dependant on that service running...

Steven-Messer
Level 3

Please ignore my last post, it appears this error is nothing to do with the SQL server being available or not.  I am now seeing this error more often when trying to view job activity, but worryingly I am starting to see the same error elsewhere in the console.  It happens when I try to create a custom report or view an existing one and it has now started happening when I try and go in to the Backup Exec settings from the main menu.  I have tried restarting the application, the services and even rebooting the server but now I can't get in to the settings menu at all.

If anyone has experience of this error any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve