cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 + IBM TS 2900 -- error The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive not available.

rajeshpkin
Not applicable

Hello All 

two months back  I have installed IBM TS2900 tape autoloader in a 2003 std server with Symantec Backup 12.5 and it started working , but after few days I got the error "Physical Volume Library Drive not available " and it stopped working .

I found the  drive was in offline mode , I again deleted all the backup policies and created new policies , restarted the tape drive after that it started working , now again after fewdays ( may be after 10 days ) again I got the same error and stopped  working

daily backup -- The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive not available.

If any of you know how to fix this issue kindly reply

RAJESH .

3 REPLIES 3

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

First of all there is no need to create the jobs again.
Please try the below steps:

1> Make sure Removable storage services is stopped in windows services.
2> Make sure you have the latest symantec drier in the device manager
3> Make sure for the medium change it shows unknown medium change in the device manager
4>check the system log and make sure there is no 7,9,11,15 event id, that shows issue with the drive
5>Try the same backup on disk to isolate if it is job or the tape drive issue.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Rajesh,

If you have had a power failure, and your server started up before the library, it would not have been seen in Device Manager.
Go into Device Manager and see if the library shows up. If it does, restart your services in Backup Exec. From here you can run an Inventory to see if the software and hardware are communicating. If that runs successfully, run a backup again.
I'd also suggest getting the latest frivers for your version of Backup Exec, and then update the drivers.

Post the results...

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Rajesh,

Any news here?