cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Tape very slow

Philip87
Level 4
Hi, My backup to tape normally goes with 3,5 GB/min and now it only goes with 1,4 GB/min. I have a LTO Ultrium-4 with the latest firmware version. I have installed all the latest hotfixes for BE and also all of the Windows Updates. I hope someone can help with this problem. Philip
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Philip87
Level 4
We have a raid set and one drive failed. So we replaced the harddisk and the backup goes at normal speed again. Thanks for all your replies!!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried the same backups to Disk?? Also are the backups of remote resources or just local server ??

Try to isolate the issue if the issue is with Backup Exec, with the Network or with the Tape drive.

Thanks,

-Sush...

AmolB

Is the backup running slow for any specific server, if yes then copy data across the network

to check the performance of the network. Also check the event viewer for any errors

Philip87
Level 4
Sorry, I forgot to mention that i'm doing a backup to disk first and after that a duplicate job to tape, so it has nothing to do with the network. All the Backup to disk files are located locally on the server where BE is on.

Sush---
Level 6

You can check  the fragmentation level of the disk where your Backup to Disk is located. If the disk is highly fragmented then it may lead to slowness of reading data from the disk.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you are using FC, make sure that the port is not set to operate at 2Gbps. Either Auto or 4Gbps setting will be ok.

Regards...

Bob-Aces
Level 3
Partner Accredited

i had the same problem with a b2d lun.

Made a new lun and the speeds was perfect again.

Maybe you could format the backup2disk and recreate it again

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Phillip,

Try a restart of your server...might be that if you didn't do a restart after installing your patches, it is affecting your backup speeds. Try the job again, and then post back with an update!

@Kiran: FC wouldn't be an issue at 2GB/4GB/Automatic if the drive was SCSI...the SCSI bus in this case would lead to slow backups and be the bottleneck!

Thanks!

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Philip,

First of all are you using a standard B2D folder or one with deduplication?

Secondly can you check the fragmentation level of the B2D disk? If it's highly fragmented, I suggest to run a defragmenter. They always told me to don't perform this operation on a dedupe disk, as this can cause corruption.

Last but not least, can you post the configuration settings of the b2d folder here? It's advised to tick the checkbox fully allocation of space when creating a new b2d file. Also allowing the software to create bigger files can be a good operation.

When I implementing this, I follow these standards:

• fully allocation;
  • maximum size 8GB;
  • defragmenter enabled with schtask every day.

Also check the driver of the device. It's recommended to use the symantec drivers, but i had a case where i had to use the hp drivers as these gave me 1.5 optimalization.

Kind regards,

Ruben

Philip87
Level 4
We have a raid set and one drive failed. So we replaced the harddisk and the backup goes at normal speed again. Thanks for all your replies!!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@ Craig

That's why i said if you are using FC...

Regards..

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...experienced that one before!

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I'm glad we could help!

Greetz