cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure Backup Exec 2012 to Continue Even When Errors Occur

ramadori
Level 3

Running Backup Exec 2012 on Server 2008 R2 Enterprise platform.  Backing up a single file server running the BE agent, also with Server 2008 R2 Enterprise OS.  Would like to know how, if at all, I can get BE 2012 to continue backing up data even when it encounters errors during the backup.  I've used the "Enable Checkpoint Restart" option but it doesn't seem to work.  Or perhaps I'm interpreting this option as "keep backing up even if you run into problems where you can't back up something".  I am getting the "0xe000fe36 - Corrupt data encountered" which equates to entries like "directory not found" or "file not found" when in fact the referenced data is actually there.  Also using snapshot technology with the "automatically select snapshot technology" option.

Would greatly appreciate any information anyone can provide.

Thank You!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No...when BE encounters an error it will stop.

Checkpoint restart is used when backups halt for whatever reason.

Enable AOFO and try again if it isn't already!!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unless you have a good reason you should let BE choose the snapshot provider.

If the directories are actually there, then you should trouble-shoot this problem.  One possibility is that your disk is corrupt.  You should then run

chkdsk /f

from a command prompt on the disk to fix the corruption.  The /f switch is important as it allows chkdsk to fix the errors.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No...when BE encounters an error it will stop.

Checkpoint restart is used when backups halt for whatever reason.

Enable AOFO and try again if it isn't already!!

Thanks!

ramadori
Level 3

Craig V,

Thanks for your response.  So there's no way to configure a job to continue running if it encounters errors like I described?  A lot of backup solutions have this capability.  It seems strange that BE does not.  I do believe that a BE job can be run from the command line.  Is there any such option when using the command line?  Regarding AOFO, can I get better reliability if I change the "automatically select snapshot technology" to "MS Volume Shadow Copy Server" with a specific snapshot provider?

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unless you have a good reason you should let BE choose the snapshot provider.

If the directories are actually there, then you should trouble-shoot this problem.  One possibility is that your disk is corrupt.  You should then run

chkdsk /f

from a command prompt on the disk to fix the corruption.  The /f switch is important as it allows chkdsk to fix the errors.