cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO behaviour with Mozilla Thunderbird

Karlinou
Not applicable
Hi,

I have 100 users on my network. I'm trying to backup TB profile of my users with DLO. 
My backup strategy is to backup every modified files every hours, so that I can prevent a huge load of my network when the backup process starts.
But, with Thunderbird, each time a user get a email, DLO backs up the whole Inbox file (Delta backup doesn't seems to work....).

Does anybody knows If it's possible to do incremental / delta backup up with Thunderbird files ?

The other way should be to tell DLO to backup TB file once a week, but I don't know if I can to this in a same user profile.

Thanks for your help
Karl.
1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 DLO has a specific mechanism for dealing with Outlook PST files that uses a connection into the PST to do Incremental (message level) backups of PST files - this mechanism is unlikely to work with files from other mail packages (apart from possibly Notes). As Delta backups are not used with Outlook files either though I guess Symantec had to look at ways to deal with specific mail files.

With regards Delta of a Thunderbird File - I am guessing the Thunderbird clients hold the file open in a way that stops DLO running a Delta if this is correct then it is unlikely that DLO will be able to support the Delta backup method for those particular files. Out of interest does it do the same thing if you make a change to something in the Thunderbird files and then immediately close the mail client before your backup starts.

If Thunderbird started to take a large share of the e-Mail client market then it is likely that Symantec would consider researching full supportability