cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster recovery of backup exec server

jinxnbu
Level 5

I have a BE 2014 server with only target storage which is dedup storage. I do not have any other disk or tape storage. 

I am guessing its a bad idea to have even the BE server backup go to the dedup storage cos i am not sure how to recover in case the media server crashes. 

For the backup exec server to be recovered I believe i need the catalog and data folder first before I can import the dedup folder ?

as per TECH187911 I need to backup the disk/drive where the dedup storage resides and back it up to tape. But in my case I dont have a tape device 

Any other alternatives ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can duplicate this to disk such as a NAS/SAN/DAS for instance, but it will rehydrate the data as you can only have 1 dedupe folder. It would do the same thing to tape.

The other option would be another media server with a dedupe store, and on the primary media server license and configure CAS with optimized dedupe...this assumes you have the extra server and storage/or budget to do this, which would be more expensive than buying a disk array/tape drive.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you backup the media server to a normal disk storage, then you can either use SDR to recover the enitre media server automatically or do a manual recovery of the entire media serverfrom the backup.  The dedup folder can be imported after the recovery.  However, if your dedup folder is also wiped out and it is not backed up, then you are left with nothing.

Note that you cannot do a SDR recovery from a dedup folder.

If you only backup your media server to the dedup folder, then you would need to manually rebuild your media server by loading the OS and then BE.  After installing BE, you can then import the dedup folder, inventory and catalog it and then use it to restore other servers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can duplicate this to disk such as a NAS/SAN/DAS for instance, but it will rehydrate the data as you can only have 1 dedupe folder. It would do the same thing to tape.

The other option would be another media server with a dedupe store, and on the primary media server license and configure CAS with optimized dedupe...this assumes you have the extra server and storage/or budget to do this, which would be more expensive than buying a disk array/tape drive.

Thanks!

jinxnbu
Level 5

Hi Craig,

Would it help to have another non dedup disk storage and only the BE server backup is targetted there. In which case if the server crashes I can still recover the catalog and data folder and then do an import of the dedup storage ? Will that work ?

Thanks in advance. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you backup the media server to a normal disk storage, then you can either use SDR to recover the enitre media server automatically or do a manual recovery of the entire media serverfrom the backup.  The dedup folder can be imported after the recovery.  However, if your dedup folder is also wiped out and it is not backed up, then you are left with nothing.

Note that you cannot do a SDR recovery from a dedup folder.

If you only backup your media server to the dedup folder, then you would need to manually rebuild your media server by loading the OS and then BE.  After installing BE, you can then import the dedup folder, inventory and catalog it and then use it to restore other servers.